Jump to content

Making a complaint to the UK Border Agency

This section explains what our complaints procedure covers and does not cover. It also tells you how to make a complaint, and how we deal with complaints.

We take complaints seriously. Our aim is to resolve complaints as quickly as possible, and to take steps to put things right when they have gone wrong.

If I make a complaint, will it affect my application to the UK Border Agency?

No. You have a right to comment or complain, and it is in our interest to hear from you. We want to resolve your complaint so that we can improve our service. We will treat your application separately from your complaint and will decide it impartially, taking account of all the relevant circumstances. Complaints do not affect our decision-making process.

What can I complain about?

We deal with complaints about the services that we provide, or that are provided on our behalf. We also deal with complaints about the professional conduct of our staff and contractors. If you make a very serious complaint related to our officers' use of police-like powers in England and Wales, we will refer this to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

You should make your complaint as soon as possible. We will not normally investigate allegations of misconduct more than three months after the incident occurred.

You should not use our complaints procedure if:

  • you are unhappy about a decision we have made or you wish to request a review of the decision - the letter we send to tell you about the decision should tell you whether you can appeal and how to do so;
  • you want to comment on immigration policy or legislation - to do this, you should contact your Member of Parliament;
  • you want to report someone who you believe is working illegally, has made a false application to stay in the United Kingdom, or is involved in smuggling - our Reporting page tells you how to do this; or
  • you want a general update on the progress of your application - you can do this by contacting one of our contact centres, but you cannot ask for an update until a certain time has passed since you made your application. The Contact centres page contains more information about this, and you can find out the standard waiting time for application decisions by looking at the section of this website covering your type of application.

Remember, you can only use the complaints procedure for complaints about the standard of service you have received, or about the professional conduct of our staff.

If you want to use the complaints procedure, go the How to make a complaint page.