25 June, 2009


Travel Allowances

a.  Duty Travel: A duty journey is one that is undertaken on official MOD business.  This can take a variety of forms (eg travel to a new unit on change of assignment, travel to official meetings/courses).  These journeys should be undertaken via the recognised direct route and in the most economical manner taking into account the class of travel entitlements.  In taking economy into account, the business needs should also be considered (eg it may be more effective to fly to a location for a meeting and be able to return the same day than to take a train if overnight subsistence is required).  All forms of transport may be used; these include air, rail, coach, Service vehicle, hire car and private vehicle.  Specific rules apply to various types of duty journey, those rules are contained within JSP 752 – Triservice Regulations for Allowances.  All duty journeys will be made at public expense.

b.  Motor Mileage Allowance (MMA):   This allowance may be claimed when and individual is authorised to undertake duty travel using a private motor vehicle.  A Pence per Mile rate is payable to assist with the cost of those journeys.

c.  Refund of Congestion Charge:   This allowance applies to Service personnel occupying publicly funded accommodation within a Congestion Charge Zone (CCZ).  Residents of the London CCZ are eligible for a 90% discount on the normal cost, but the minimum period for which they must pay CC is weekly.  In order to qualify for the discount, residents are required to pay an administrative fee to register their vehicles with Transport for London on an annual basis.  Eligible personnel may claim the discounted weekly or monthly CC payments they make, as well as the annual registration fee applicable to CCZ residents.

d.  Privately Arranged Passage (PAP): This provision is to provide assistance towards the travel and subsistence costs incurred by Service personnel and accompanying immediate family when, for personal reasons, they are authorised to travel on duty by other than the official route.  A PAP will only be approved if it will not result in seats on Service provided transport either being left vacant or filled by an indulgence passenger.  In practice, this will result in few personnel being eligible for a PAP. 

e.   Service Families' Travel:   The family of a Service person has no entitlement to travel at public expense in their own right.  Such travel, when permitted, derives entirely from the mobility of the Service person.  The regulations (as laid down in Chap 4 Section 11 of JSP 753 – Triservice  Regulations for Allowances) include details of moves on assignment both within the UK and between the UK and Overseas accompanied posts.  They also include other circumstances when family members may be conveyed at public expense, such as to attend investitures, or for casualty and compassionate reasons.  Due to the wide range of situations which may be covered, please refer directly to the JSP regulations for complete information. 

f.   School Children's Visits (SCVs): This allowance contributes towards the cost of reuniting children of Service personnel with their parents at their duty station during some school holidays.  It is a principal condition that there will be a parental contribution made towards all SCVs.

g.  Home to Duty Travel (HDT):   HDT is paid because Service personnel are obliged to be mobile.  Service personnel, unlike their civilian counterparts, have limited choice in where they work.  Service personnel often are able to choose between living in public and private accommodation.  To recognise this difference, there are 2 types of support for travel to work: HDT (Public) and HDT (Private).

i.   HDT (Public).     Those living in public accommodation often have little control over where their accommodation is situated.  Thus, the Department provides them with a travel allowance.  It is, however, considered reasonable for Service personnel to walk one mile to work.  As a result, no financial support is given for any first mile travelled to and from work.  This first mile is called the Personal Contribution (PC).  Beyond the first mile, HDT (Public) provides support. 

ii.  HDT (Private).     Those who choose to live in private accommodation have more control over where their accommodation is situated.  The payment of HDT (Private), however, recognises that they are still required to be mobile and that they save the Department money by living in their own homes (as opposed to living in public accommodation).  The average commuting distance for the general public in the UK is 9 miles.  Thus, HDT (Private) is not payable for journeys to and from work which are less than 9 miles each way.  These first 9 miles are the HDT (Private) PC.  This PC also recognises that subsequent assignments are likely to mean that Service personnel who elect to stay in their current RWA may travel more than 9 miles to work.

h.  Travel for Operational Stand Down (TOSD): This allowance is to provide Service personnel with publicly funded transport to their permanent duty station, Base Port or exceptionally to their normal UK leave address, when formally stood down during temporary deployments on UK-based operations assisting the UK civil authorities. 

Download Downloadable File: JSP 752 - Tri-Service Regulations for Allowances (PDF) 2.8 MB

To view theDownload PDF file (Portable Document Format), you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader®. Click here to get your FREE download of the software.

Back to Allowances Index


Royal Marines
Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Naval Families Federation
HIVE Information Service
Navy News
BFBS Digital Radio
Help for Heroes
Defence Discount Directory
SSAFA Confidential Support Line

 © Crown Copyright 2008. All rights reserved. Contact Webmaster | Website Help | Privacy and Accessibility