25 June, 2009


Compensation and Reimbursement Allowances

The allowances listed here cover a wide variety of different circumstances or types of expenditure, which don’t fit easily into the other categories.  
a.   Unpleasant Work Allowance (UWA)        

b.   Unpleasant Living Allowance (ULA)     

c.   Experimental Test Allowance (ETA)     

d.   Compensation for Lost and Damaged Personal Effects 
e.   Service Risks Insurance Premium Refunds (SRIPs)   

f.   Discharge Grants for Service Personnel Under Sentence: The aim of the Discharge Grant for Service personnel Under Sentence (SUS) is to ensure that personnel discharged from the Services from the Military Corrective Training Centre (MCTC) have sufficient funds on their discharge to meet their immediate needs.  The Grant is paid in line with Prison Service guidelines and it replaces Income Support, which would otherwise be claimed from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). 

g.  Refund of Nugatory Holiday Expenditure (NHE)    

h.  Professional Body Subscriptions/Fees     

i.   Refund of Foreign Currency Exchange Costs    

j.   Service Personnel Under Sentence Reimbursement Allowance (SUSRA)

k.  Funeral Grants

l.   Reimbursement of Medical, Dental, Optician & Prescription Fees

m. Provision of Driving Licence Fees: To pay the driving licence fees for those Service personnel employed in driver trades, or those who are required to drive regularly as part of their Service duties.

n.  Provision of Passports and Visas at Public Expense

Back to Allowances Index



Royal Marines
Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Naval Families Federation
HIVE Information Service
Navy News
BFBS Digital Radio
Help for Heroes
Defence Discount Directory
SSAFA Confidential Support Line

 © Crown Copyright 2008. All rights reserved. Contact Webmaster | Website Help | Privacy and Accessibility