25 June, 2009


FlagThe Military Helps You

Life within the RN/RM is very different from the normal 9 - 5 job, and brings its own problems as well as the good things in life. Sometimes help from outside the Service environment just doesn't meet the needs of RN/RM families. If you want to see what help you can get which is specifically intended for Service personnel and their families.

RN CommunityNaval Personal and Family Service (NPFS) & Royal Marines Welfare (RMW)
NPFS & RMW try to prevent or reduce the effects of personal problems, and have a good understanding of those, which come as a result of life within a Service environment. They will respond in a sensitive manner to any request for help and offer support and advice to enable people to resolve their difficulties.

NPFS & RMW provides a confidential service, without discrimination, in a timely and appropriate manner.

info More Information: NPFS & RM Welfare

Friends and Families of Deployed Units (FAFDU)
FAFDU is a Plymouth based informal group which offers families and friends of someone who is deployed an opportunity to meet others in similar circumstances. Meetings take place on a regular basis at a variety of social events and get-togethers. There is currently a Coffee Drop-In at the Radford Community Centre on Thursday afternoons. Those who live further away, or are visiting the Plymouth area will be welcome visitors.

More information contact:

Phone Icon Phone: 01752 406680 - Radford Community Centre, Plymstock

Phone Icon Phone: 01752 779054 - Crownhill Family Centre, Plymouth 

Phone Icon Phone: 01752 343225 - Hillcrest Community Centre, Plympton

Naval Families FederationThe Naval Families Federation
The Federation has been set up to give Royal Navy and Royal Marines families an independent voice. This may be by working with the chain of command or the Ministry of Defence. In addition, twice a year there is an opportunity to represent the views of Naval families direct to Ministers to ensure representation is made at the highest level.

Phone Icon Phone: 02392 654374

311 Twyford Avenue

website Web site: Naval Families FederationHomeport

Anybody with a family member serving in the Royal Navy or the Royal Marines is eligible to belong to the NFF. All families need to do is to choose their form of communication with NFF, whether by telephone, e-mail or through the post.

The NFF magazine 'Homeport' is free and distributed by the Royal Navy and Royal Marines to all Naval  families throughout the world. Copies are also available from the NFF office, by completing the application form or by writing to:

Method Publishing
Sutherland Press House
KW10 6RA

website Web site: Application Form

Childrens Education Advisory Service
Worried that your children aren't getting the best possible education due to frequent family moves or a draft overseas?

CEAS is a MOD agency dedicated to the education of Service children. They provide objective and impartial information and advice on all educational matters relating to state and independent schooling. They also provide first class schooling and educational support for children who need to be educated overseas. For those about to move abroad or about to return to the UK, CEAS can provide help with the placement of children in UK boarding schools or schools overseas.

CEAS can provide information, advice and support relating to admission to UK schools. Their staff can also provide assistance with admission appeals if you are unable to get your child into the school of your choice.

CEAS also advises on matters relating to children with Special Educational Needs in the UK and overseas. It will also liaise on behalf of parents with personnel branches and Local Education Authorities. A register of SEN Service children is maintained by CEAS in order that parents can obtain appropriate educational provision promptly.

Phone Icon Phone: 01980 618244

Email E-mail: enquiries.ceas@atnet.gov.uk

Trenchard Lines

HIVEHIVE Logo Larger
Over the years the HIVE organisation has supported Armed Forces personnel and their families across the globe. HIVE Information Centres are staffed by fully trained HIVE Information Officers (HIO) across the UK and overseas and are able to offer relevant, up-to-date, national and local information and referral on a wide range of issues that affect Service families.

HIVE core information areas are education, health, housing, adult employment and education, relocation and local information. However, any problems, issues or questions can be referred to HIOs. If they don't know the answer, they will put you in touch with the people who will be able to help.

Phone Icon Phone: 01722 436498 / 9

Email E-mail: hivegb@hqland.army.mod.uk/

HIVE GB & Overseas Central Officer
HQ Land Command
Louisburg Building
Erskine barracks

War Widows' AssociationWar Widows' Association
The War Widows Association exists to improve the conditions of War Widows and their dependants in Great Britain. Its work encompasses those who have suffered bereavements from the last World War or Korea, and more recently as a result of conflicts in the Falklands and the Gulf. A war widow receives, or has received, a "War Widows pension" which is payable to the spouse of a Service man or woman where the death has been attributed to or hastened by their service in the Armed Forces.

The War Widows Association maintains close links with all ex Service organisations and Service widows associations. It works with all Government departments, petitioning for improvement in pensions, the administration of benefits and other issues affecting War Widows.

Phone Icon Phone: 0870 2411 305

website Web site: WWA

The War Widows' Association of Great Britain
c/o 48 Pall Mall

Alexandra HouseAlexandra House
Alexandra House is a purpose built facility in Crownhill, Plymouth with an experienced and qualified team providing quality Day Care and Residential Care for children. It is operated in partnership with the KIDS Organisation and is registered by the National Care Standards Commission for both day care and residential services. The accommodation is purpose-built and includes a large secure garden.

The Anchor Support Group is a scheme for children with special needs, in the Plymouth area and is based at Alexandra House.

info More Information: Alexandra House

info More Information: Special Needs

Naval ChaplaincyNaval Chaplaincy
The RN Chaplaincy serves the spiritual and pastoral needs of personnel within the Navy, and also exists to meet the needs of families and individuals living "outside the wire" during peace time as well as during periods of conflict. Chaplains carry out a traditional pastoral role taking church services, preparing people for marriage and confirmation, visiting the sick or bereaved and providing counselling when required.

Naval Chaplains are grouped into 3 branches - C of E, RC and the Church of Scotland and Free Churches. They are also happy to contact other chaplains from the Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim and Sikh traditions when pastoral needs require.

Chaplains work from within Naval Dockyards, on Air Stations, in training establishments, onboard ships and from within the community.

For further information:

Phone Icon Phone: 023 9272 2915 - Portsmouth Naval Base

Phone Icon Phone: 01752 555931 - Plymouth Naval Base

Phone Icon Phone: 01436 674321 - Ext: 8266 - Clyde Naval Base

Veterans AgencyVeterans Agency
The Veterans Agency has its origins dating back to Queen Elizabeth I, because it was she who decided that all Service personnel who had "lost their lives or disabled their limbs in defence of her Majesty and the State" should be rewarded by compensation and pensions. They currently administer the War Pensions scheme, processing claims and appeals.

The current aim of the Veterans Agency is to deliver modern, high quality services to war disablement pensioners, war widows, their dependants and carers and other veterans. It achieves this by working in partnership with a number of organisations including the Department for Work and Pensions and Department of Constitutional Affairs.

Welfare services are delivered in partnership with ex-Service and other voluntary organisations of which they hold many details on their website.

Phone Icon Phone: 0800 169 2277

website Web site: Veterans Agency

Royal Naval and Royal Marines Childrens FundRoyal Naval and Royal Marines Childrens Fund
For the support of children of serving and retired RN, RM, QARNNS and Reserves personnel in need of care and help.

info More Information: Naval Charities


Royal Naval Benevolent TrustRoyal Naval Benevolent Trust
Exists to provide relief for ratings and their dependants in cases of necessity or distress.

info More Information: Naval Charities

Confidential SupportlineSupportline
The Confidential Supportline is a completely confidential and impartial phone service created specifically to help military personnel. Specially trained civilians, who will discuss any issue that may be worrying you, offer listening and sympathetic advice.

The Supportline is separate from the Navy and NPFS.

Phone Icon Phone: 0800 731 4880 - Freephone

website Web site: Confidential Supportline

NPFS & RM Welfare Help Desk
The NPFS & RM Help Desk provides a service to RN/RM personnel and their families seeking advice and information on any subject. Topics that are covered are on a wide range of subjects including housing, education, travel, CSA and pensions to name but a few. This is a confidential service where clients can remain anonymous if so desired.

The NPFS/RM Advice Worker also administers the Link Letter Scheme (LLS) and the Families Information Link Line (FILL).

info More Information: RNcom Help Desk


Royal Marines
Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Naval Families Federation
HIVE Information Service
Navy News
BFBS Digital Radio
Help for Heroes
Defence Discount Directory
SSAFA Confidential Support Line

 © Crown Copyright 2008. All rights reserved. Contact Webmaster | Website Help | Privacy and Accessibility