25 June, 2009

Work-Related Benefits

You are married, or in a long term relationship and have children and you or your partner is serving in the Royal Navy or Royal Marines. Here's what you may expect to receive...

JCP logoContribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
JSA is a benefit, which lasts for up to 26 weeks for people who are unemployed or working less than 16 hours a week (it used to be called Unemployment Benefit).

You get it if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions during the last two tax years that do not overlap the current calendar year. You have to be available for work and actively seeking work. If you have caring responsibilities you can restrict your availability for work to fit around these responsibilities, as long as you remain available for work for at least 16 hours a week.

website Web site: Job Centre - Benefits

Working Tax Credit
What is it?
Working Tax Credit is designed to help people on low incomes whether they are employed or self-employed and can include support for qualifying childcare.

Who gets it?
Nine out of ten families with children can get tax credits, but you don't need children to qualify for Working Tax Credit. Extra help is available for people working 30 or more hours per week, people with a disability, or people over 50 who recently returned to work after a period on benefit.
website Web site: Inland Revenue - Tax Credits

Hardship Provision
You may be able to get a reduced amount of JSA under the hardship provision. You can do this if your JSA cannot be paid under the normal rules for any of the following reasons:
  • You are not available for work

  • You are not actively seeking work

  • You do not have a Jobseeker's Agreement

  • There is a doubt about whether any of these apply to you

  • You unreasonably make yourself unemployed. For example, you leave your job voluntarily without good reason, you lose a job because of misconduct or you turn down a job offer
You must be able to show that you or someone in your household would suffer hardship if you do not receive any JSA.

If you are in a vulnerable group and you qualify for a hardship payment, you will be paid the next time you would usually get your JSA. You are in a vulnerable group if you or your partner:
  • Are pregnant

  • Are looking after children

  • Are single and looking after a 16 or 17 year old

  • Have a disability

  • Are caring for someone who is long-term sick or disabled

  • Are a young person who has left local authority care in the last 3 years

  • Are aged 16 or 17, in some circumstances

new deal logoNew Deal Support
New Deal is a Government programme that aims to give unemployed people the help and support they need to get into work.

Everyone on New Deal gets a personal adviser who is his or her point of contact throughout the programme. The personal adviser takes the time to understand you - your experiences, interests and goals - so a plan can be prepared to get you into a suitable job.

website Web site: New Deal Website

Useful Contacts

info More Information: Welfare Benefits - Benefits Whilst Serving Abroad

info More Information: NPFS / RM Welfare

info More Information: RNCom Helpdesk

dwp logoThe Department for Work and Pensions
Provides information and guidance in how to claim all types of benefit, including Work Related Benefits.

website Web site: Dept of Work & Pensions - Benefits Advice

Inland RevenueInland Revenue Tax Credit Helpline
For information about the Working Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit.

website Web site: Inland Revenue

Phone Icon Phone: 0845 300 3900 - Tax Credit Helpline

Royal Marines
Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Naval Families Federation
HIVE Information Service
Navy News
BFBS Digital Radio
Help for Heroes
Defence Discount Directory
SSAFA Confidential Support Line

 © Crown Copyright 2008. All rights reserved. Contact Webmaster | Website Help | Privacy and Accessibility