25 June, 2009


Overseas Medical & Dental Services

mortar and pestleOverseas? Medical and Dental treatment while on duty overseas
As far as possible, these are provided at the same standard as the United Kingdom National Health Service. On large stations abroad, this is generally provided by Naval doctors and dentists or by the medical staff of one of the other Services. If Service facilities are not available, treatment is arranged privately with local civilian doctors, hospitals or dentists and the Navy refunds the fees.

In the European Union an E111 will be vailid until 31 December 2005 thereafter you and your family will need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

website Web site: The Department of Health – Apply for the European Health Insurance Card

Medical and Dental expenses while on leave abroad
The MOD is not responsible for any medical/dental expenses incurred by Service personnel or their dependants during leave periods taken outside the UK or the country of posting. You are strongly advised to take out medical insurance before going abroad on leave or if stationed overseas before taking leave outside that country. Form E111 (obtainable through DSS offices and main post offices) will provide you with cover for an emergency medical treatment (but only in EU countries). Full details are given with form E111.

website Web site: SFTF - Overseas Healthcare

Visits by Relatives or Friends to Personnel listed Very Seriously Ill (VSI), Seriously Ill or suffering Incapacitating Illness or Injury
In the UK Next of Kin can be issued with warrants for up to two people to visit personnel in the above categories free of charge. Assistance is also available for visits to personnel undergoing long-term hospitalisation. Contact NPFS or RNSQs.

info More Information: NPFS/RM Welfare

info More Information: RN Sick Quarters (Sick Bay)

grievingDangerously Ill Forwarding of Relatives
Outside the UK (including Northern Ireland) for VSI only and where recommended by the Navy, arrangements can be made by NPFS or RM Welfare for the Next of Kin to visit accompanied by one other person.

info More Information: NPFS/RM Welfare

info More Information: RN Sick Quarters (Sick Bay)

Royal Marines
Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Naval Families Federation
HIVE Information Service
Navy News
BFBS Digital Radio
Help for Heroes
Defence Discount Directory
SSAFA Confidential Support Line

 © Crown Copyright 2008. All rights reserved. Contact Webmaster | Website Help | Privacy and Accessibility