25 June, 2009


Do You Or Your Partner Have A Problem With Alcohol?

Some people don't touch alcohol at all, but everyone who does drink has sometimes had that one or two too many. However if you or your partner repeatedly drink more than you intend or want to, or get into trouble when you drink, you may feel you have a problem with alcohol. Here are some ideas about where you can go for help if you think you drink too much or you live with someone who does.

How's your drinking?How's your drinking?
Most of us drink, some of us drink more regularly than others, but how often is too often? And how much is too much? Regular drinking does not necessarily mean you have a serious problem; it may only take a small change to make a big difference. Alcohol affects everyone differently and what is manageable for some can be a problem for others.

Here is a site designed to help work out whether you are drinking too much, and if so, what you can do about it.

website Web site: How's Your Drink

Alcoholics AnonymousAlcoholics Anonymous
Many people have read or heard about Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). It is for people who drink to excess and are seeking help with a drink problem. Many AA members joined the organisation due to the feelings of guilt, loneliness and hopelessness that were a result of their alcoholism and decided to try to face up to what alcohol had done to them.

It is up to each individual if they want to give AA a try and only they can decide whether they think it can help them.

Phone Icon Phone: 0845 769 7555

website Web site: Alcoholics-Anonymous

Al-Anon offers understanding and support for families and friends of problem drinkers, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not. The parents, wives, husbands, friends and colleagues of alcoholics can all be helped by Al-Anon whether or not the drinker in their lives recognises that a problem exists.

At Al-Anon group meetings members receive comfort and understanding and learn to cope with their problems through the exchange of experience, strength and hope. Members learn that there are things they can do to help themselves and indirectly to help the problem drinker.

The groups are non-professional and have no religious or other affiliations.

website Web site: al-anon uk

Alateen is part of the Al-Anon fellowship and is for young people aged twelve to twenty, who are affected by a problem drinker. Alateen members share their ideas and experience in order to gain a better understanding of alcoholism; they learn to accept it as an illness and so lessen its impact on their lives. By removing their preoccupation with the drinker's behaviour they are able to focus on their own development and sense of identity.

Alateen groups are sponsored by two adult Al-Anon members.

website Web site: Alateen

Al-Anon Family Groups
61 Great Dover Street

Alcohol ConcernAlcohol Concern
Alcohol Concern is a national voluntary agency concerned with alcohol misuse. It consists of 500 local agencies tackling alcohol related harm and is committed to increasing the range and quality of services available to people with alcohol related problems.

Whilst Alcohol Concern does not operate a helpline nor provide actual services to individuals with alcohol problems, they provide access to a services directory which identifies local alcohol advice or counselling services (via the "How we can help" page). There are useful factsheets containing short summaries on topics which Alcohol Concern is often asked about:

  • Treatment issues/services
  • Binge drinking
  • Health impacts of alcohol
  • Men/women/ young people and alcohol

website Web site: Alcohol Concern

Royal Navy Assistance and Alcohol Education

The Royal Navy provides assistance in a number of ways:

The Alcohol Education Team - is based in Portsmouth. The team's primary aim is to promote the concept of responsible drinking and to provide alcohol education to all RN/RM personnel. The topics covered range from current Naval policy to the effects and dangers associated with excessive alcohol consumption.

Phone Icon Phone: 02392 727598

The Alcohol Treatment Unit - is based at Mercury Block, Fort Blockhouse. They offer courses for RN personnel to address their use of alcohol and promote the concept of responsible drinking.

Phone Icon Phone: 02392 765146

Local Sick Bays - Some local Sick Bays may offer informal support or informal groups for those experiencing or who have a history of problems related to alcohol. Information can be obtained from your Sick Bay or the Alcohol Treatment Unit at Fort Blockhouse.


Royal Marines
Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Naval Families Federation
HIVE Information Service
Navy News
BFBS Digital Radio
Help for Heroes
Defence Discount Directory
SSAFA Confidential Support Line

 © Crown Copyright 2008. All rights reserved. Contact Webmaster | Website Help | Privacy and Accessibility