25 June, 2009


Further Information on Armed Forces Pensions

SPVA logoWar Pensions
You cannot claim a war disablement pension if you are still serving in HM Armed Forces. However, you may be eligible to a War Disablement Pension if you were injured or disabled through serving in Her Majesty's (HM) Armed Forces. The Service Personnel & Veterans Agency is an executive agency within the Ministry of Defence and provides a single point of contact for veterans and their dependants seeking help, information and advice.

website Web site: Service Personnel & Veterans Agency

FPS logoThe Forces Pension Society

Do you have, or do you expect to have, an Armed Forces Pension?If so, then who’s looking after your pension interests?

The Forces Pension Society

  • seeks improvements to your Armed Forces Pension Scheme
  • campaigns to have injustices resolved
  • helps members with service pension problems

Complete independence from the MoD allows the Society to engage vigorously with parliament, ministers, the chain of command and officials to ensure that the Armed Forces pension Scheme is as good as it can be. The Society also campaigns for old (and new) injustices and anomalies to be corrected.

Since 1946 the Forces Pension Society has been campaigning on behalf of all ranks, their widows, widowers and dependants to seek improvements in the Armed Forces Pension Scheme. It also advises members on their individual Service pension problems. The Society is financed solely through subscriptions and is governed as a not-for-profit limited company. It works in close cooperation with other ex-Service organisations to benefit all past, present and future members of the Armed Forces.

No other organisation has the sole purpose of protecting the occupational pension interests of the Services. The Society publishes a popular bi-annual magazine 'Pennant' and members also enjoy access to a wide range of members’ services.

For just £23 per year (£10-50 for widows) all Service and ex-Service people can become members of the Society. The subscription covers the member and his/her partner jointly.

For more information contact:

Forces Pension Society  
68 South Lambeth Road  

Phone Icon Phone: 020 7820 9988

fax (white bg) Fax: 020 7820 7583

Email E-mail: memsec@forpen.co.uk

website Web Site: Forces Pension Society

State PensionTPS logo
The Pension Service website is published by the Government and is designed to be the first port of call for state and private pensions information on the web. It tells you what you should be thinking about, whether you are just starting out, are about to retire or you have already retired. It doesn't give you advice on private or occupational pensions, but does tell you what you need to think about and where to get advice.

The Pension Service will work out the amount of State Pension and Pension Credit that you are entitled to, pay your entitlements to you and answer questions over the phone and by post and by email, and help you to access other pension-related entitlements and services.

website Web site: The Pension Service

Armed Forces Pension Scheme - Pension Benefits on Divorce

Recent Change in the Age when Pension Benefits can be claimed by former Spouses


Since 2001, the Courts have been able to award a pension credit (the right to a certain percentage of the value of the pension at the time of the divorce) to the former spouse with an equivalent reduction in the member's pension. In 2004, these same arrangements were extended to cover the sharing of benefits when a civil partnership is legally dissolved. This procedure is known as pension sharing. 

Pension Sharing Order (PSO)

This is an Order made by a Court on divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership creating pension rights for a former spouse or civil partner out of the benefits that the member has built up in the scheme at the time that the PSO is made. The PSO will specify the percentage (or a monetary amount if the Order was made in a Scottish Court) that is to be deducted from the member's benefits.

Once a PSO is made, the serving or former member of the Armed Forces becomes a Pension Debit Member (PDM) and their former spouse or civil partner becomes a Pension Credit Member (PCM).

Age when benefits can be claimed

From 6 April 2009, the earliest age when the PCM can claim their pension is 55. PCMs whose PSOs were made before 6 April 2009, and who were expecting to have to wait until either age 60 or 65 to claim their pension benefits, now have the option to have their pension actuarially reduced and paid from age 55, or immediately if already over age 55.

There is no change to the age when the PDM can draw his or her pension.

Procedure for claiming an Actuarially Reduced Pension

Should any PCMs wish to enquire about this option, please write to:

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA)
Pensions Division
Pensions on Divorce Section
Mail Point 480
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
G2 8EX

SPVA will provide you with an estimate of the benefits you may receive and if the estimate is acceptable to you, will put your pension into payment if that is what you require. Unfortunately, there is currently a delay to this service caused by the requirement to update computer systems to reflect this recent change. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause, but your letter will be acknowledged and you will be advised when we expect to be in a position to provide you with an estimate.

Royal Marines
Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Naval Families Federation
HIVE Information Service
Navy News
BFBS Digital Radio
Help for Heroes
Defence Discount Directory
SSAFA Confidential Support Line

 © Crown Copyright 2008. All rights reserved. Contact Webmaster | Website Help | Privacy and Accessibility