Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Moving to your new home

There is so much to organise in just packing for the move that often things are over-looked, but use this checklist to make sure you've got everything covered. But don't notify anyone of your change of address until the contracts have been exchanged, as the sale can still fall through leaving you to contact everyone again.

Making sure you've covered everything

Use the checklist below to help you remember who you need to contact.

Have you contacted your Council Tax office?

Contact your local council's Council Tax office online to tell about your change of circumstance and let them know the date you move out of your current property and when you move into your new one so they bill you correctly.

If you receive benefits have you told your benefit provider?

Giver your details to the local Jobcentre Plus office or, if you don't yet have Jobcentre Plus in your area, contact your Jobcentre or social security office. You can use the Jobcentre Plus link to find your nearest Jobcentre Plus, Jobcentre or social security office.

Have you redirected your post to your new address?

You can download the form from the Post Office website. It can take up to 10 days to set up and there is a charge.

Have you told the utility providers (gas, water, electricity)?

You need to tell them at least 48 hours in advance that you are moving. Pass on the details of your current supplier to the people moving in. On your moving day you will need to read the meters in both properties so the correct bills can be issued. When you move in to your new home contact who you want to supply your utilities so they can register you as a new customer and start billing you from that day.

Have you updated your driving licence and vehicle registration documentation?

You must inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both. You must also inform the DVLA if either the name and address details shown on the registration certificate are incorrect.

Have you updated your details on the Electoral Register?

The register is updated every month and you need to be included on it to vote. A form is available from the Electoral Commission's 'About my vote' website. You can complete the form online, or download and send it to the Electoral Registration Office which is based at your local council.

Have you told the TV licensing?

Your television licence will need to be transferred to your new address. You can do this online or by calling 0870 241 6468.

Change of address services

You can tell many organisations of your new address, including gas and telephone companies and government offices, by using change of address services. These can be found by searching online.

More useful links

Access keys