Rt Hon Bob Ainsworth MP was appointed Minister of State for the Armed Forces on 29 June 2007.
Mr Ainsworth was Coventry City Councillor between 1984 - 1992 when he held the positions of Deputy Leader of the Council and Chairman of the Finance Committee. He was elected to Parliament in 1992 and served on the Environment Select Committee. He was appointed a Whip in 1995.
In Government he has been Lord Commissioner of HM Treasury 1997-2001 (Government Whip), Parliamentary Under-Secretary at the Department for Environment, Transport and the Regions January 2001-June 2001, Home Office Minister with responsibility for Drugs and organised Crime 2001 - June 2003, when he was appointed as Government Deputy Chief Whip.
Defence policy and planning, including:
- Arms control and disarmament; export licensing
- International organisations
- US visiting forces
- Size and shape of the Armed Forces
- Intelligence and security, including counter terrorism
- Defence diplomacy
- Estate Policy
- Overseas commitments and garrisons
- Northern Ireland
- Military Aid to the Civil Authorities
- Nuclear accident response
- Military assistance overseas
The Armed Forces (Regular and Reserves), including:
- Inquiries, Boards of Inquiry, Inquests
Regional issues and the devolved Administrations
Defence Estates Committee
Defence Equipment and Support business in the Commons