royalnavy.mod.ukTop Class Employer with Top Class People
Royal NavyRoyal Navy

HMS Albion is a Landing Platform Dock (LPD) and was launched at Barrow-in-Furness by HRH The Princess Royal, Princess Anne, on 9th March 2001.   The ship’s roles are:

-- To act as the afloat command platform for the Royal Navy’s Amphibious Task Force and Landing Force Commanders when embarked.

-- To embark, transport, deploy and recover troops with their equipment and vehicles which form part of an amphibious assault force. 

The ship is capable of embarking 256 staff or troops (with an additional 405 troops in overload) and their associated vehicles and combat supplies.   The vehicle deck is capable of holding up to 500 linear meters of vehicles (31 large trucks and 36 smaller vehicles, such as Land Rover and Viking all terrain vehicles and their trailers).

The ship can carry armoured vehicles, including the 70 tonne, Challenger II Main Battle Tank.   Vehicles are offloaded through the dock by the 4 Landing Craft Utility (LCU) carried in the ship whilst personnel are offloaded from davits on the ship’s sides by 4 Landing Craft Vehicle and Personnel (LCVP).   The ship has a flight deck capable of operating 2 helicopters at a time, with a third aircraft parked.

The ship’s Combined Operations Room, with its sophisticated Combat Support System, and the well equipped Planning Rooms maintain the Royal Navy’s position at the technological cutting edge of 21st Century warfare.  As part of the Royal Navy’s Amphibious community, which includes her sister-ship Bulwark and the helicopter carrier HMS Ocean, Albion has a pivotal role in enabling Maritime Power Projection across the globe.  

HMS Albion was built at Barrow in Furness and was launched in March 2001 by HRH The Princess Royal. She is affiliated to the City of Chester, and very proud of her 4 battle honours ranging from Algiers 1816 to Dardanelles 1915.

The Royal Navy has had eight ships by the name ALBION, the first a sailing ship of the line launched in 1763.

The last HMS ALBION was a 22,000-ton ‘Centaur’-Class light fleet carrier built on the Tyne by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson. Her keel was laid in 1944 and she was launched in May 1947, but the incomplete hull was laid up immediately

The ship's motto is "Fortiter, Fideliter, Feliciter (Boldly, Faithfully, Successfully)".

Royal Navy Community Site

 
Register for Newsfeeds