Jump to site navigation [j]

Anti-social behaviour

Reporting anti-social behaviour

Have you been harassed or victimised? Find out how you could tackle the problem and what we will do to help.

Tell someone about your concerns

Speak to your local anti-social behaviour coordinator or neighbourhood police team about what's happening in your area.  They can both provide support and advice, and help you tackle the problem.

All complaints are treated as confidential under the Data Protection Act so you don't have to worry about your identity being revealed.

Report it

If the anti-social behaviour is affecting your quality of life, or making you fear for your safety or the safety of others, contact your local police station directly, and file a complaint.

Gathering evidence

To make a case against anyone accused of anti-social behaviour you'll need fairly strong evidence.

Your local police coordinator may give you diary sheets so you can record the details of the behaviour as it happens, or the police may get more involved depending on the circumstances and severity of the problem.

If you are a victim or witness of anti-social behaviour and are frightened to give evidence for fear of reprisals, you can give evidence but remain anonymous.  This type of evidence is called hearsay.

A police officer or other professional witness, such as a council official, health worker, teacher or doctor can also give evidence in court on behalf of a vulnerable witness.

How the offending behaviour will be challenged

Neighbourhood thugs can be controlled by police using a wide range of methods. Some of the most effective interventions are those that directly engage the individual and lead them to change their own behaviour.

The range of interventions include:

  • warning letters and interviews
  • acceptable behaviour agreements and parenting contracts
  • fixed penalty notices
  • parenting orders, individual support orders, noise abatement notices
  • injunctions, dispersal powers
  • anti-social behaviour orders (commonly called ASBOs)
  • premises closure orders
  • possession proceedings against a tenant

See also

(Links will open in a new window)

We are not responsible for the content of external websites.

Home Office websites