home | recruitment | your right to information | crimes | contacts | ask the met | news | local info | about the met | young people | sitemap

The Brighton Trunk Murders 1934

Mancini alias Notyre

On the 17th June 1934 William Joseph Vinnicombe, a cloak room attendant employed by the Southern Railway at Brighton Railway Station, noticed an offensive odour in the cloakroom and called Detective Bishop of the Railway Police who opened a trunk which contained parts of a human body.

The Chief Constable of Brighton called for assistance from Scotland Yard and the Metropolitan Police sent down Chief Inspector Robert Donaldson. Donaldson questioned Henry George Rout who had received the trunk but he could not remember the depositor.

On 18 June another trunk had been discovered at Kings Cross Station in similar circumstances, and it contained two limbs. Very few clues were available and the victims could not be identified until a press reporter informed police about Violet Kaye, aged 42, a known prostitute in the Brighton area who was missing. A man named Mancini had been associated with her.

Donaldson interviewed Mancini (alias Notyre) and released him, but later took the precaution of having his lodgings checked at 52 Kemp Street. A large black trunk was discovered at Kemp Street, and this contained the body of Violet Kaye. Mancini was arrested on 17 July by two Metropolitan Police Constables of R Division who found him observed him in the Eltham Road, Lee area of south east London and arrested him.

Mancini appeared at Lewes Assizes defended by the barrister Norman Birkett. He claimed to have concealed Violet Kaye's body after finding her when she had already died, and the jury gave him the benefit of the doubt. However a 1976 Sunday newspaper reported him admitting responsibility for the death.

As for the body in the trunks at Kings Cross and Brighton railway stations (known as Brighton Trunk Crime - Number 1) the case was never solved, and there was no evidence linking Mancini to this other murder.