Welcome to the Pesticides Safety Directorate (PSD) website
Website by Topic
PSD is also the Competent Authority in the UK for detergents: Detergents home page
PSD has commissioned an independent research company, QA Research, to conduct the 2008 Customer and Stakeholder Survey on behalf of PSD. We would be very grateful if you could complete our survey at http://surveys.questions.co.uk/PSDCustomer08.asp before 30 November 2008.
Latest Regulatory and Information Updates
- Regulatory Update - Products to be withdrawn from the market containing dichlobenil, methyl bromide and propachlor
6 October 2008: This Regulatory Update provides information on the revocation/withdrawal of amateur and professional pesticide products containing dichlobenil, methyl bromide and propachlor, following the Commission Decisions not to include these active substances in Annex 1 of Council Directive 91/414/EEC.
- Unlawful Pesticide Products in the UK Market Containing Trifluralin
30 October 2008: It has come to PSD’s attention that herbicide products containing the active substance trifluralin have been unlawfully offered for sale and supply in the UK.
- Supplying Compost and Pesticide Mixtures
21 October 2008: Suppliers of pesticide and of compost should make sure they are acting within the law. If you are mixing pesticides with compost before sale, you may be breaching regulations about pesticide approvals.
- Environmental fate & behaviour training workshop – compilation of environmental fate and behaviour submissions for product approvals - 3 February 2009
15 October 2008: This Update announces that PSD will be holding a training day on the compilation of environmental fate and behaviour submissions. This will be held in York on February 3, 2009. The course will provide an introduction to the preparation of an environmental fate submission for product approvals under the ( COPR) and for product authorisations under ( PPPR ).
- Re-Registration Requirements Following Further Annex I Inclusion Decisions: September 2008
07 October 2008: This Regulatory Update notes recent decisions regarding Annex I inclusion of 3 more active ingredients and also gives details of some amendments to existing dates and deadlines.
- Revocation of authorised uses as a result of EC Maximum Residue Levels (MRLs) coming into force under EC Regulation 396/2005-AMENDED
2 October 2008. This Regulatory Update, first issued on 27 August , identified further UK authorised uses that were revoked following the coming into force of the new EC MRLs regime under EC Regulation 396/2005 on 1 September 2008. This Update has now been amended to reflect the re-instatement of certain uses.
- Revocation of authorised uses as a result of EC MRLs coming into force under EC Reg 396/2005 - Second AMENDMENT
2 October 2008: This Regulatory Update, first issued on 24 July identified a number of UK authorised uses that must be revoked following the coming into force of the new EC MRLs regime under EC Regulation 396/2005 on 1 September 2008. It has had a second amendment to note that some of these revocations have been re-instated.
- Consumer Risk Assessment Training Day - 11 December 2008
23 September 2008: This Information Update announces that PSD will be holding a one-day interactive training event on consumer risk assessment. This will be held in
Yorkon Thursday 11 December 2008. The event will be targeted at technical and regulatory staff involved in the production and submission of data to PSD.
- Applications for addition of undersown crops to product labels
23 September 2008: This Regulatory Update gives information about applications for addition of undersown crops to product labels.
- Re-Registration Requirements Following Further Annex I Inclusion Decisions
18 September 2008: This Regulatory Update announces Re-Registration Requirements Following Further Annex I Inclusion Decisions
- Aminopyralid - Results of Analysis of Contaminated Manure, Soil, and Damaged Crops
11 September 2008: This Regulatory Update summarises the results from an analysis of crops, manure, and soil following damage to allotment crops believed to be caused by residues of aminopyralid in manure.
- Sulphur residues and Regulation 396/2005
9 September 2008: Sulphur is listed in Annex III of Regulation 396/2005 with a range of temporary MRLs for various crop commodities, including 50 mg/kg for tomatoes. It has come to PSD’s attention that residues above these levels have been found in both treated and control crops of tomatoes.
- New EC Maximum Residue Levels Database
02 September 2008: This Information Update gives details of the new PSD MRLs database which has been produced to coincide with the new EC harmonised MRLs regime.
Other PSD news
- Published Resources for Amateur Pesticide Users
30 September 2008: Postcards, postcard display holders and laminated posters, giving information about how to use, store and dispose of garden pesticides safely, are available free of charge from PSD.
- Amenity Weed Control Conference 2008: 2 October 2008
25 September 2008: This page gives information about The Amenity Weed Control conference which is to be held at the Health and Safety Executive offices in Rose Court, London SE1, UK on Thursday 2nd October 2008.
- IRAG guidelines
26 August 2008: Two IRAG guidelines have been issued
- Human Health Enquiry/Incident Survey for Pesticides (HHEIS) 2007
12 August 2008: This is an amendment to Regulatory Update 11/2008 which was issued on 8 May 2008 and requires Approval Holders of all products approved in the UK during 2007 to provide PSD with details of human health related reports involving their products, received from any source, during that year.
- 2008 WIIS Quarterly Reports
15 July 2008: The Pesticides Poisoning of Animals report Quarter 1 - covering January to March is available now.
- EU Thematic Strategy for Pesticides: News
09 July 2008: PSD has carried out an impact assessment on crop protection in the UK of the ‘cut-off’ criteria and substitution provisions in the proposed Regulation to replace EC 91/414. The latest compromise text of the Slovenian Presidency is now available .