home | recruitment | your right to information | crimes | contacts | ask the met | news | local info | about the met | young people | sitemap


Your right to information

Requesting access to personal information

Subject access office staffThe Data Protection Act 1998 - gives you the right to access personal information (information about yourself) held by organisations.

Requests for personal data can only be made via a Subject Access Request - under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Requests for information for employment purposes

The MPS does not provide PNC disclosures for employment vetting services. If you require a disclosure for employment purposes, please contact Disclosure Scotland on: 0870 609 6006 or via their website www.disclosurescotland.co.uk [External site]. The current procedure whereby companies require individuals to exercise their rights under Subject Access provisions at section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998, as a form of vetting, has been considered to be unlawful for many years and is against the spirit of the legislation. When Section 56 of the Act is implemented, it will become a criminal offence for the employer to ask individuals, as a condition of employment, to go through this process.

If you are going to work as a paid employee or as a volunteer for an organisation and your work will bring you into contact with children or vulnerable adults and have been asked to apply for CRB check you must access the CRB website [External site] and follow their procedure.

Requesting information for the purposes of emigration, visas or residency in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America

Individuals requiring Police Certificates for the purposes of applications for emigration, visas or residency in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America should download the application form for an ACPO Police Certificate from the ACPO website.

Please note that this Certificate is processed entirely by the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO). All submissions and enquiries relating to this process should be directed to ACRO, who can be contacted through the following routes:

Please do not return this application form to the Metropolitan Police Service

Requesting access to general information

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) - gives you the right to access general information held by UK public authorities.

FOIA also requires public organisations such as the MPS to proactively publish information of interest to the public via our Publication Scheme. Before making your request, check the MPS Publication Scheme - to see if the information you require is already published and easily accessible. If the information is not available via the MPS Publication Scheme - please complete our online FOIA request form. This will help us to deal with your request efficiently.

The exchange of information between the Police and Insurance Companies and Loss Adjusters.

Police officers speaking to a member of the publicThe Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) and the Association of British Insurers (ABI) has issued a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). The MOU is a set of guidelines on the exchange of information between the Police and Insurance Companies and Loss Adjusters.

If, as a UK Insurance Company or Loss Adjuster, you require access to information on behalf of your client or yourselves that is currently held by the MPS - you will need to complete the approrpiate Appendix.
Please use the link below to the ACPO and ABI Memorandum of Understanding to access the appropriate Appendix form.

Historical Information

The Metropolitan Police Service has a long and varied history. Many books and articles have been written about it and much of the material used in these texts has been drawn from official records that have been preserved. Records of the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) that are of historical value are eventually transferred to The National Archives (TNA), formerly known as the Public Record Office, at Kew, Surrey, where members of the public can inspect them. The MPS does not maintain its own archive of historical records.

Please see the historical records of the MPS for more information.