Animal health and welfare
The health and welfare of animals is central to Defra's work of protecting and improving livestock and controlling and eradicating disease. The Animal Health and Welfare pages are divided into various subject areas each with its own ‘Home page’ and ‘Latest news’ section. These are detailed below:
Disposal of animal by-products which are animal carcases, parts of carcases or products of animal origin that are not intended for human consumption.
- Avian influenza (Bird flu)
- Equine Infectious Anaemia
- Foot and Mouth Disease
Animal health & welfare
The route map for work to improve the health and welfare of kept animals in Great Britain.
Livestock movements, identification
Movement of livestock and their identification, registration and tracing.
- Chief Veterinary Officer - See also Government Veterinary Surgeons website.
- Government Veterinary Journal - An official journal of Defra and is the UK journal specialising in State Veterinary Medicine.
- Veterinary Training Research Initiative (VTRI) - An initiative to encourage both students and practising vets to get involved in research that could prevent or halt outbreaks of animal disease.
- Bee health
- Fish farming & health
Defra's delivery agents relating to animal health and welfare:
- Animal Health
- Veterinary Laboratories Agency
- Veterinary Medicines Directorate
- Spongiform Encephalopathy Advisory Committee
- Farm Animal Welfare Council
- Companion Animal Welfare Council
Page last modified: August 29, 2008