Complaints Procedure

We are committed to providing a high quality, accessible and responsive service to businesses and the community. However, if you believe that things have gone wrong, please send us your complaints and comments. We will take them seriously. We give all our staff guidance on how to deal with complaints, in line with Service First - the new charter programme and the Freedom of Information Act.

If you have a complaint to make on the way we have provided a service or carried out a policy, we have the following procedures to help you. If you have a complaint about a particular Government policy for which we are responsible, you should write to the minister concerned or to your local MP.

Local complaints procedures

The following Executive Agencies and Management Units are among the main providers of our services to the public and businesses. They all have their own complaints procedures.

To view them use the links on the right-hand side.

  • Acas
  • Companies House
  • Export Control Organisation
  • Insolvency Service
  • UK Trade & Investment

If you have a complaint or comment about the way in which these organisations have provided services, you should contact them direct. Our Response Centre can give you an address and phone number if you need them (see our Response Centre’s details below).The government offices for the 10 English regions manage programmes for us, as well as for the Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions, the Department for Innovation, Universities & Skills, and the Department for Children, Schools and Families. Each government office has a complaints procedure which they will send you if you ask for a copy. Again, our Response Centre can give you contact details.

Complaints about other parts of the Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform

Other parts of the Department also deal with members of the public and businesses on a wide variety of issues (for example, to provide advice on government policy in particular areas, to consult on issues or to consider representations). We aim to carry out these functions as efficiently and effectively as possible. However if you want to make a complaint, please follow the procedure set out below.

How to make your complaint

You can make your complaint, which we will deal with confidentially, in writing, by phone, fax or e-mail. You should send e-mails to our Response Centre.

If you have details of the person your complaint should be addressed to, please contact them to give them the opportunity to sort things out with you.

If you do not have this information, please get in touch with our Response Centre, which will give you the contact details for the most appropriate person. Alternatively, our Response Centre can pass your complaints and comments to the most appropriate person.

To help our Response Centre process your complaints please provide the following information.

  • The part of the Department which is relevant to your complaint, and a contact name (if you know this).
  • Information on whether it is an original complaint or a follow-up to a reply you were not satisfied with.
  • A clear description of the complaint and what you would like us to do to sort things out.
  • Your full postal address, phone number and fax number (and e-mail address if you have one).

What happens next?

We will investigate and provide a full explanation within 15 working days of receiving your complaint. If this is not possible we will explain why and give you a date by which you can expect a full reply.

If you are not satisfied with our reply

If you are not satisfied with the reply to your complaint, you should write to the line manager of the person you sent your complaint to. You can get details of the relevant line manager from the person you originally dealt with, or by phoning our Response Centre.

If you are still not satisfied

If you are still not satisfied, you should write to the head of the relevant management unit, asking them to review the matter. Again, you can get details from the people who have been dealing with your complaint or from our Response Centre.


If you have gone through our complaints procedure and you are still not satisfied, you have the right to refer the matter to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (the Ombudsman). You have to make complaints to the Ombudsman through an MP. Your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau can give you the address of your MP. You can get more advice from the Ombudsman’s office at the following address:

Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration,
Millbank Tower,
London SW1P 4QP

Phone: 0845 015 4033
Fax: 0207 217 4000

Users’ views

One of the ways in which we can continue to improve our services is by listening and responding to your views. We would also welcome any comments or suggestions you have on our complaints procedure, to make sure it works as efficiently and effectively as possible. Please send these to our Response Centre.

This document is available on our website in Both English and Welsh. Please ask us if you would like a copy of this document in large print.

You can contact our Response Centre at:

Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform
1 Victoria Street
Phone: 020 7215 5000

Fax: 020 7215 0105

Textphone: 020 7215 6740