LGBT travellers

Attitudes towards gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender travellers around the 2007 Gay Pride parade in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. © AFP/Getty Imagesworld can be very different from those in the UK.

But you’re unlikely to have any problems if you prepare well and research your destination before you go.

Where can I find information?

  • invest in a good guide book – many specialise in advice to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender travellers
  • the internet and the gay press can also be good resources
  • check out the map on the ILGA’s website which highlights potentially dangerous regions and countries
  • your travel agent or tour operator might have an idea about the local LGBT scene, particularly in the more popular holiday destinations
  • local gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender groups are often best placed to advise you of local laws attitudes
  • the relevant British embassy can also offer advice

When you’re away:

  • avoid potentially risky situations – don’t do anything that you wouldn’t at home!
  • excessive physical shows of affection, by both same-sex and heterosexual couples, are often best avoided in public
  • if you intend to frequent cruising areas or internet chat rooms find out about the local situation – police in some countries have been known to carry out entrapment campaigns
  • be wary of new-found ‘friends’- criminals sometimes exploit the generally open and relaxed nature of the gay scene
  • if you receive unwelcome attention or unwelcome remarks it’s usually best to ignore them
  • you’re more likely to experience difficulties in rural areas so it’s best to exercise discretion
  • some resorts can be quite segregated - when you are outside the ‘gay neighbourhood’ expressions of sexuality may be frowned upon
  • some hotels, especially in rural areas, won’t accept bookings from same sex couples –check before you go

What should I do if I run into problems while overseas?

Our embassy staff will help you if you run into problems overseas, especially if you feel that you can’t approach the local police. We won’t make generalisations, assumptions or pass judgement.

Our staff overseas monitor and record incidents brought to their attention by British Nationals about the treatment they have received from host authorities and issues of concern are regularly raised with the relevant body

Why can’t the Foreign and Commonwealth Office provide a list of countries where same-sex relationships are illegal?

We don’t have a list of countries where same-sex relationships are illegal for a number of reasons:

  • same-sex relationships aren’t specifically mentioned in law in many countries, and in others the law is unclear
  • same-sex relationships maybe legal, but certain acts may not be illegal
  • a same-sex relationship maybe lawful but local society can be intolerant of open same-sex relationships
  • in some countries same-sex relationships are illegal, but the law is not strictly enforced
  • a distinction is sometime made in law between men and women

Passport identity of transgender travellers

You’ll usually be able to get a passport in your new name if you can provide documentary evidence detailing the date and circumstance of the name change. Contact the Identity and Passport Service for more information.

See Also




Travel checklist

Useful Links

International Lesbian and Gay Association - provides information on gay rights around the world

International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association - travel advice for gay and lesbian people

Identity and Passport Service

Taking a gap year?

Then visit.....


Find an Embassy

Wherever you are in the world


Find an Embassy

Wherever you are in the world


Travel health

Advice on vaccinations and common illnesses

health overseas