Victims of crime abroad

Man stealing woman's purse from handbag. © Chase Jarvis/Getty ImagesIf you are unfortunate enough to be the victim of a crime of any kind overseas, our embassies may be able to help you.  You'll find a link to our 'Find an embassy' page to the right.

Please see the page on lost or stolen passports if you need to obtain new travel documents whilst abroad.

Please see the page on rape and sexual assualt for specific information on such attacks.

For information on how we can help if you are caught up in a major catastrophe, please see our leaflet, ‘Support for British Nationals Abroad: a guide’

What we can do to help:

  • provide you with a list of local lawyers and interpreters
  • help you to contact a local doctor if you need medical treatment
  • contact your relatives and friends to let them know what has happened
  • provide information on how you can safely transfer money from relatives or friends
  • in an emergency we can cash a sterling cheque up to £100, with a valid banker’s card into local currency.  There will be a charge for this service

What we can’t:

  • give you legal advice
  • collect evidence or investigate crimes, or influence the outcome of a trial
  • assist with travel costs if you are asked to attend a trail abroad as a victim or witness
  • provide general financial help, except in very exceptional circumstances

In such cases we will provide a loan from public funds to help you return to the UK.

You will have to sign an agreement to repay this loan in full. You will usually have to secure the loan by giving up your passport to us.

We will then issue you with an emergency, single journey travel document.  Your passport will only be return upon full repayment of the loan and the cost of issuing the emergency travel document.

If you are a victim of theft:

  • Report any incidences of theft to the local police. You will need a police statement to claim against your travel insurance
  • Remember to cancel any credit cards or travellers cheques.

Useful contacts

Consular Assistance:

020 7008 1500

Useful Links

Victim Support - an organisation which offers support to victims of crime back in the UK

Related Documents

Lost your passport?

Passport graphic

Find out how we can help


Find an Embassy

Wherever you are in the world