Sick or injured abroad

Medical staff taking care of hospital patient. © Ryan McVay/Getty Images

If you become sick or are injured abroad you should seek medical attention locally if you feel you need it. Your travel insurance should cover most medical expenses if you have taken out a comprehensive policy.  

If you have travelled with a tour guide or have a tour representative you should contact them in the first instance if your condition is not serious.

Please be aware that medical facilities abroad may differ from those in the UK.

In hospital abroad

If you're admitted to hospital abroad you should contact your nearest embassy.  

What we can do to help:

  • contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been admitted
  • contact your family and friends in the UK
  • liaise with your insurance company or medical evacuation company
  • visit you within 48 hours of being told you have gone into hospital if we feel that this is appropriate to your circumstances and there is an Embassy or consulate in the same city as the hospital you are in.

We'll take into account your condition, whether you have family and friends with you, whether you are with a tour company and the medical facilities available.

If you have been hospitalised as a result of an assault or other crime, we will visit you as soon as possible. Please see the victims of crime page for more information.

What we can't do:

We cannot pay for your medical treatment or provide treatment ourselves.

We won’t usually contact or visit you if you have travelled specifically for medical treatment.

Useful contacts

Consular Assistance

Telephone: 020 7008 1500

See Also

Travelling abroad for medical treatment

Travel insurance

Victims of crime

Related Documents

Find an Embassy

Wherever you are in the world


Travel advice relevant to you


Different advice for different travellers