Living overseas

Mature couple toasting each other at a pavement cafe. © Steve Mason/Getty ImagesWe’ve got advice on starting your new life abroad.

We’ve included links to useful websites on tax, pensions and study abroad – see list in right column.

How our embassies can help you

There is information on all our embassy websites about living in that country. But remember: our embassies can only do so much. It’s your responsibility to find a place to live, ensure you can support yourself financially and find a school for your children.

Register with the British embassy on arrival

You should register with the nearest embassy or consulate so we can provide assistance if you need it.

Use our LOCATE service to submit your details.

Where can I move to?

British nationals have the right to live in any country in the European Economic Area (EEA).

The following countries are in the EEA:

All full members of the European Union: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden

Plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

For other countries contact the local British embassy for more info.

Healthcare abroad

You will have to pay for healthcare in many countries. You should fully research the health care system of the country you are moving to before you go.

The local embassy can give you more advise about a country’s healthcare system.

It may be advisable to buy health insurance once you are abroad.  

Schools and education

Contact the country’s local education authorities to find out about the education system. The government’s website will also have useful information on education in that country.

Most countries have English or international schools which you should be able to find on the internet.

Voting overseas

The Electoral Commission factsheet explains how you can vote in general elections when you live overseas.

You can’t vote in local elections or elections for the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly or Northern Ireland Assembly if you live overseas.

Births, marriages and deaths

Our pages on births, marriages and deaths explain how to register births and deaths and have info on marrying abroad.

All our embassy websites have local and specific info on this.

Register with us

Our LOCATE service can help in a crisis

Plane and globe

Births marriages and deaths

Registration and legal information

Pair of gold wedding rings on wedding register.  © Martin Poole/Getty Images