Noise Mapping England

Maps and Charts

Select Noise Source

Noise Map Detailed Noise Map

Overview and Instructions


In accordance with the Environmental Noise (England) Regulations 2006, strategic noise maps for England have been produced on behalf of the Secretary of State estimating noise levels from the following sources:

  • Major Roads - roads with more than 6 million vehicle passages annually;
  • Major Railways - railways with more than 60,000 train passages annually;
  • Major Airports - airports with more than 50,000 aircraft movements annually (except for training on light aircraft): and
  • First Round Agglomerations - urban areas (with populations greater than 250,000 and a certain population density), taking into account the above sources and additionally other roads, railways, aircraft movements and industrial premises.

A list of which agglomerations have been mapped can be found in the FAQs Section.

This section provides interactive access to noise maps for the agglomerations by noise source (road, rail and industry), and for airports. Maps for major road and rail routes outside of agglomerations are available to download in the 'Other Maps' section.

The number of people exposed to the different noise levels from each source within each agglomeration has also been calculated. A population exposure chart showing this information can be viewed once a successful postcode search has been performed.

Back to top


Users are strongly encouraged to read the explanatory information on this page before commencing a postcode search. The Glossary of Noise Terms in the Help section should be used for an explanation of the noise terminology used in the maps.

Accessing the Maps: Interactive Maps

To find the interactive map you require:

  1. Select the Noise Source (Road, Rail, Industry or Air) from the drop down list.
  2. (Where available) select the time period for which you wish to view noise contours, either Lden (day/evening/night average) or Lnight indicators, by choosing the relevant option from the 'Select Time Period' drop-down. Note: This option is not available the first time you request a map - a default of Lden is applied.
    1. For road, rail or industry, you are required to enter a valid postcode e.g. E16 1AB (please see FAQs for areas that have been mapped). If you are unsure of the full postcode, a partial postcode can be used, e.g. E16.
    2. If you are searching for an airport noise map, you will need to select an airport from the drop-down list.
  3. To submit your map request, click the 'Go' button. A Disclaimer message will be displayed and must be accepted to complete the postcode search.

The Disclaimer

The maps shown in this site are only intended to be used for the strategic assessment of noise exposure in different areas. These maps should not be used to attempt to determine, represent or imply the noise exposure in individual locations (e.g. individual houses, windows).

Interactive Map Viewer

You can navigate the noise map by using the controls in the top left-hand of the map window. These enable you to pan, zoom and re-centre on your selected location. Please note that these controls are only available for users that have JavaScript enabled (refer to Help for further details on how to enable to JavaScript for your browser).

In areas where no noise data is available interactively or where no mapping has taken place you will see a grey 'no data' image. Noise data may be available for these areas via the Other Maps page.

To view information about the numbers of people affected by the noise source you have selected within the current area, click on the 'Exposure Chart' link. You can return to the noise map by selecting 'Current Map'.

Accessing the Maps: Other Maps

Maps that are not currently available interactively can be accessed via Other Maps page in downloadable PDF format. The agglomeration and airport maps viewable interactively on this site are also available to download as PDFs.

Further information about how the maps were produced and how they will be used can be found in the FAQs section.

Back to top

Site navigation

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs