Public services all in one place
Skip Navigation

Caring for someone

Carer's Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

The information in this section is a guide only. The Carer’s Allowance Unit – who will handle your claim - can answer any questions you may have about claiming and receiving Carer’s Allowance.

Who can get Carer's Allowance?

You can claim Carer’s Allowance if you are aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person getting Attendance Allowance, or Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or highest rate for personal care), or Constant Attendance Allowance (at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension).

Who cannot get Carer's Allowance?

You can’t claim Carer’s Allowance if you are in full-time education with 21 hours or more a week of supervised study or earn more than £84 a week after certain deductions have been made (such as Income Tax).

How much do you get?

The weekly rate is £46.95. This is reduced by the amount of certain other benefits, including State Pension, that you receive. If you receive certain other benefits at £46.95 or more a week, Carer’s Allowance cannot be paid to you as well.

You may be able to get an additional amount for your husband, wife or civil partner or someone living with you who looks after your dependent children.

How it’s paid

Carer’s Allowance is normally paid directly into any account of your choice which accepts Direct Payment of benefits.  This might be a bank, building society, or other account provider.

You may be able to get someone else to collect your Carer’s Allowance if you wish. For help with this contact your bank, building society or other account provider.

If you would like more information about how you can be paid by other means contact the Carer's Allowance Unit – details are in the ‘How to claim’ section.

Effect on other benefits and entitlements

Claiming Carer’s Allowance may affect any other benefits, allowances, pensions and entitlements you, or the person you care for, are receiving.  

How to claim

You can ask for a claim form over the telephone, by contacting the Carer's Allowance Unit or your local benefits office or downloading the form from this website. You can also apply online.

Changes in circumstances for you - or the person you are caring for

Changes to your circumstances – and those of the person you care for - can affect your eligibility for Carer’s Allowance, or the amount you get. For example, changes to your income or employment, if you go into full-time education or take a break from caring.

More about Carer's Allowance

Secondary Navigation - links to other pages in this section

Current section:

Global Tools - quick links to useful sections