Skip to main content

Directgov - widest range of government services and information online

Directgov - widest range of government services and information online

Student finance

Study first, pay back when you’re earning

Going to university or college could be one of the best investments you ever make - and there might be more financial help available than you think.

If you live in England, and are applying for a course anywhere in the UK, these pages will help you work out just how much help you could get, and when and where to apply.

Courses starting from September 2006

From September 2006, universities and colleges can charge new full-time students up to 3,000 a year for tuition fees. You can apply for a student loan for fees to cover these costs. Non repayable bursaries and grants, as well as student loans for maintenance, are also available to help with your living costs.

Where to get financial help

Help comes both from the government, and from universities and colleges.

Work out the cost and apply for funding

What you’ll have in your pocket while studying, and how to apply for financial help.

To order a student finance information pack, phone 0800 587 8500.

Next: Help from the government     

Courses starting in the 2005-06 academic year and gap year students

If your course begins in the 2005-06 academic year, or you are taking a gap year, there are different financial arrangements. You can still apply online by registering or logging into the Student Finance Direct website.

Don't live in England?

These pages cover help for English residents only. Find information for students from:

Not a student?

Find out what student finance means for you.

Reapplying and repaying

Find information on:

More on Directgov

Find financial help for:


Links to external websites open in a new window.