Other Royal Air Force Stations
Many Stations and Units of the Royal Air Force do not operate aircraft, nor are they based at or near an active airfield. A good example of this is RAF Spadeadam, the Electronic Countermeasures Range. Other roles of the stations in this section are as diverse as the maintenance of satellite communications at RAF Oakhanger to safeguarding the health of serving personnel at the Centre of Aviation Medicine, RAF Henlow.
Amport House, the Armed Forces Chaplain Centre, was inaugurated on the 1 April 1996 to provide religious and welfare support and training for uniformed personnel of all three services. Originally the RAF Chaplain's School, the School moved to Amport House in 1962, having first been based at Dowdswell Court in Cheltenham.
Parented by RAF Brize Norton, the Station is home to No 2 and 81 Signals Units which are involved with High Frequency Communications.
Famous for its pivotal role as Fighter Command Headquarters during the Battle of Britain, Bentley Priory is now the home of several RAF directorates including the Air Historical Branch.
A signals Station, Boddington is home to No 9 Signals Unit and Headquarters TARE Units.
RAF Brampton Wyton Henlow is the result of the merger of Brampton Wyton (itself a merger) with Henlow which took place on 1 Apr 01. The sites retain their own identities but are run under single command, with many of the support functions centralised. The unit also provides support for RAF Stanbridge and parenting for some activity at RAF Chelveston. The Station Commander is based at Wyton but maintains offices at all 3 locations, as do his 2 functional wing commanders, OC Personnel Support Wing and OC Station Support Wing. The role of the Station is to provide support for the lodger units thereon, most of which are Defence Logisitcs Organisation (DLO) formations.
RAF Digby, originally called RAF Scopwick, was established on 28 March 1918. It has been home to a number of units, including Nos. 2 and 3 Flying Training Schools and both Guy Gibson and Douglas Bader were station here. In 1942, the Station became a Royal Canadian Air Force Station operating Mosquito aircraft. Following a brief period as a Technical Training Unit, the role of the Station changed yet again in 1955 with the arrival of No. 399 Signals Unit. This was later joined by 591 Signals Unit and the Aerial Erectors School. No. 399 Signals Unit changed its name to the Joint Service Signals Unit on 15 September 1998, reflecting not only its tri-Service environment, but also its bi-National one with members of all three US forces serving alongside RAF, Army and Royal Navy personnel.
An Army Air Corps helicopter base, Dishforth is also a Relief Landing Ground for RAF Linton and is home to the RAFGSA Cleveland Gliding Club.
Donna Nook is the an East Coast bombing range.
Opened in 1962, RAF Fylingdales is primarily a Ballistic Missile Early Warning Station, with a secondary duty of detecting, reporting and tracking satellite launches and orbits. The famous "golf ball" radomes have now been replaced by Phased Array Radars.
Halton is home to the School of Recruit Training, the RAF Institute of Health, Headquarters Defence Dental Agency, and a Volunteer Gliding School, No 613, flying Vigilant T1s.
Purchased after the Second World War with money from the "Royal Air Force Pilots and Crews Fund", a public collection as a tribute to the deeds of the RAF, Headley Court is now the Defence Services Medical Rehabilitation Unit, which aims to return all those service personnel injured or seriously ill to full fitness.
Holbeach is the Wash Bombing Range.
Originally opened in 1937 as a bomber base, Honington is now the RAF Regiment Depot, the last Aircraft leaving in 1993 when the Tornado Weapons Conversion Unit moved to Lossiemouth.
Currently the Station is under enhanced care and maintenance status.
Due to the sheer numbers of Hawk T1/T1As operating at RAF Valley, Mona is the very necessary Relief Landing Ground for 4 Flying Training School.
Also known as HMS Warrior, Northwood is the Joint Maritime Headquarters.
This Station is the focal point of military satellite communications in the UK. Two satellite communications (Satcom) units are based at Oakhanger, No 1001 Signals Unit and a NATO Satellite Ground Terminal.
This bombing and firing range is adjacent to the old Pembrey airfield on the South Wales coast.
The Scottish Air Traffic Control Centre is under the control of Headquarters Military Air Traffic Operations (MATO) and is responsible for providing a radar service to military and civil aircraft.
Originally a civil airfield, the RFC took over Sealand in 1916, and the Station was used for training and later, maintenance, a role that continues today. No 30 Maintenance Unit first moved to Sealand in 1937, and today is responsible for the third line repair of airborne avionic equipment for all three Armed Services. No 631 Volunteer Gliding School operates Viking TX1s from the South Airfield.
Spadeadam became an RAF Station in 1976, and was the first Electronic Warfare Range in Western Europe. It is now a NATO Electronic Countermeasures Range.
Stafford is home to two long standing RAF units. No 16 Maintenance Unit was formed in 1939, and still serves as an Equipment Supply Depot. No 2 Mechanical Transport Squadron moved to Stafford in 1958, and is responsible for providing transport assistance for unit moves, and the handling of large or abnormal loads. The Squadron also trains HGV Class 1 drivers for the RAF. Also at Stafford is the Tactical Supply Wing (TSW), which operates mobile aviation fuel handling facilities for helicopters and Harriers deployed in the field.
Initially a bomber station when it opened in 1940, Syerston became a training base post-war, until it closed as an operational station in 1976. Syerston is currently home to the RAF's Air Cadets Central Gliding School, responsible for the allocation and maintenance of gliders, and No 644 Volunteer Gliding School.
Tain is a bombing range on the Moray Firth.
Topcliffe is a satellite airfield of RAF Linton-on-Ouse.
Units stationed at Uxbridge are the headquarters of the Military Air Traffic Operations (MATO), Headquarters of Music Services and No 63 Squadron of the RAF Regiment, better known as the Queens Colour Squadron.
Wainfleet is the Wash (North Side) bombing range.
RAF West Drayton is the military air traffic control centre co-located with the civil London Area and Terminal Control Centre. The unit provides a vital link between civil and military flying and airspace requirements.
Date Last Updated : Monday, April 7, 2003 4:34 AM
[ Home ]
© Crown Copyright 2003 and © Deltaweb International Ltd 2003