Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Where to get advice and support on debt

Many organisations offer free and impartial advice on debt problems. If you need help managing your debt, find out where you can get support by telephone or in your local area.

Debt advice available over the phone

0808 808 4000
Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 9.00 pm, Saturday 9.30 am to 1.00 pm

National Debtline

National Debtline offers free, confidential and independent help over the phone for people in England, Scotland and Wales. You can call their helpline and also download publications from their website.

0800 138 1111
Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 8.00 pm

Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS)

The CCCS has a helpline providing free, independent and impartial advice to people living in the UK who have debt problems.

0800 716 239
Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 9.00 pm, Saturday 9.00 am to 3.00 pm


Payplan provides free advice to people living in the UK on debt and budgeting, including free debt management plans and IVAs (Individual Voluntary Arrangements) without upfront fees.

0845 345 4 345
Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 6.30 pm

Community Legal Advice (CLA)

If you qualify for legal aid and live in England or Wales, CLA can provide free help or legal advice over the phone for problems with debt, housing, employment, education and welfare benefits and tax credits.

Debt advice available face to face

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Your local CAB is a good place to find free advice. They provide free information and advice on legal, money and other problems. You can find your local CAB in the phone book or on their website.


Shelter offers free confidential advice on housing, debt, welfare benefits, care and health needs (including disability rights and entitlements). In England, call 0808 800 4444 if you want general advice. In Wales, call 0845 075 5005.


AdviceUK is a network of independent advice centres for people living in England, Scotland and Wales. To find your nearest member agency, visit the AdviceUK website or call 020 7407 4070.

Your local authority

Some local authorities offer a free debt counselling service. You can check with your local authority by following the link below. You'll be asked to enter details of where you live and then taken to your local authority website where you can find out more.

Law Centres

If you're being threatened with legal action, and you're eligible for Legal Aid support, you may wish to seek free and independent advice from your local Law Centre.

Advice NI

The Advice NI website gives a list of advice centres for people living in Northern Ireland.

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Benefits advice online

Get benefits advice by using this online tool to answer questions about your situation

Access keys