Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a taxable benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for.

Who can get Carer's Allowance?

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance if you are aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person who gets either:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate for care
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

Who cannot get Carer's Allowance?

You cannot get Carer's Allowance if you are in full-time education with 21 hours or more a week of supervised study or earn more than £100 a week after certain deductions have been made - for example Income Tax.

How much do you get?

The weekly rate is £53.90. This is reduced by the amount of certain other benefits, including State Pension, that you receive. If you receive certain other benefits at £53.90 or more a week, Carer's Allowance cannot be paid to you as well.

You may have to pay tax on the amount you receive.

How it is paid

Carer's Allowance is normally paid directly into any account of your choice which accepts Direct Payment of benefits.  This might be a bank, building society or other account provider.

You may be able to get someone else to collect your Carer's Allowance if you wish. For help with this, contact your bank, building society or other account provider.

If you would like more information about how you can be paid by other means, contact the Carer's Allowance Unit.

If your payment is due on a bank holiday it will get paid to you early, usually on the first working day before your normal payday.

Effect on other benefits and entitlements

Claiming Carer's Allowance may affect any other benefits, allowances, pensions and entitlements you, or the person you care for, are receiving.  

How to claim

You can ask for a claim form over the telephone, by contacting the Carer's Allowance Unit or your local Jobcentre Plus office or downloading the form from this website. You can also claim online.

Changes in circumstances for you or the person you are caring for

Changes to your circumstances - and those of the person you care for - can affect your eligibility for Carer's Allowance, or the amount you get. For example, changes to your income or employment, if you go into full-time education or take a break from caring.

Making a complaint about the Disability and Carers Service

The Disability and Carers Service is part of the Department for Work and Pensions and provides financial help to disabled people and carers. It deals with claims for Carer's Allowance as well as several disability benefits.

If you are unhappy with the service the Disability and Carers Service has provided, you can make a complaint.

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Benefits advice online

Get benefits advice by using this online tool to answer questions about your situation

Access keys