Your Archives logo

Update: 30 September 2012
Your Archives is now read-only. We are no longer accepting new registrations, nor are we accepting new (or edited) content.
The content will be available in the UK Government Web Archive. Please read our announcement for further information.


The Heroes of Waterloo

From Your Archives

Jump to: navigation, search

On the junction of the London Road, with Stakes Road, a pub was erected in 1815. (There is an advert for the pub in the April 1816 edition of the Hampshire Chronicle [1]) The proprietor named the pub "The Heroes of Waterloo". The pub's original location is now the site of the National Westminster Bank. The pub's name was shortened to "The Heroes", and still exists today.

At the time of construction, there was nothing at this location, situated between Purbrook in the south, with Catherington and Horndean to the north. Several houses sprang up around the pub, and the village became known as Waterloo. Due to confusion with the postal service, the settlement became known as Waterlooville in the 20th Century, so as to differentiate it from the other location named Waterloo.


Legend has it that there were a number of Wellington's army who, upon returning from Waterloo, stopped in the village, and also that a number of these men settled in the village.


There are at least two retired members of the Armed Forces who appear on the 1851 census:


William Crook

William is married to Martha. He had been a Private in the 40th Foot. He served from 9 April 1809 to 10 January 1814. Upon leaving, his Company Commander was Captain Browne and he was in the 2nd Battalion. As he was illiterate, he made his mark on the discharge certificate.

The certificate was passed on to Kilmainham, who stamped a "received date" of 25 January 1814. He was medically discharged (at Park Barracks, Dublin) 'in consequence of a wound in the back, with a musket ball received at the storming of Badajoz.'

The following had been written on the certificate:
Havant 1.9.40
Hants 169
G 23.9.50 refused increase
Bo 24.9.67
The certificate has a reference of A5360, and can be consulted by ordering document WO 119/20
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details.mvc/Offline?iaid=10382425

Kilmainham Hospital Soldiers' records catalogued

When the Military General Service Medal came into being, he received a medal with a "Ciudad Rodrigo" clasp. The medal survives, and was on sale in 2006[2].

His death was registered in the 3rd Quarter of 1871, in the Registration District of Catherington.

Subsequent research at Kew has found the following:

WO 120/59 page 5 - this shows that he was paid by the 1st Portsmouth District office, and that he died on 10 Aug 1871
WO 23/39 microform page 00351 - he was drawing his out-pension from the Havant pay office (see WO 22 ) and had been an out-pensioner since 24 January 1814


Edward Ford

Edward Ford was born at Butser Lodge, and became a sailor. According to ADM 22/439 he had 24 years 4 months service, and his last ship was HMS Warspite. He was awarded an out-pension for life on 21 November 1828.

He won a campaign medal, for the First Burmese War 1824-6 (see Naval recipients of the Army of India Medal (ADM 171/11) ). It would appear that at the time of the 1851 Census, he was living in the pub as a lodger.

His death was registered in the 3rd Quarter of 1857, in the Registration District of Catherington.


Although no persons who fought with Wellington in 1815 appear to have resided in the village, it could alternatively be stated there were 'The [two war] Heroes of [the village of] Waterloo'.