- Has anyone in your family produced a family tree? If so who?
- If your relative came from abroad, how did he/she travel to England?
- What was the town you came from like?
- Did your grandparents live in the same place?
- What was your occupation/positions held?
- How did you meet your spouse?
- Tell me about your parents?
- Tell me about your siblings?
- What was your life like as a child (including the sweets you enjoyed; the games you played; your friends; clubs and organisations you belonged to etc.)?
- What were your hobbies? Did you belong to the Guides, Scouts or Jewish Lads Brigade?
- At what age did you leave school? Which school?
- Describe your mother's kitchen when you were a child.
- Was your father in the forces? Do you have his regimental details or army record?
- Was he on active service? If yes, where?
- Do you have any interesting stories he told you about his time in the forces?
- Do you own a family bible?
- Do you have any old photo albums?
- Do you have copies of any birth, marriage/ ketubot or death certificates?
- Do you have any family stories or specific family phrases, which
have been passed down to you?
- What would you change if you could live your life again?
- What diseases or conditions, if any, have affected your family e.g. colour blindness, heart disease, diabetes etc?
- Did you have holidays as a child/adult? Where did you go?
- Was your family religious?
- What Synagogue did you belong to? Get married in?
- Do you have any family recipes, which have been handed down to you?
- What are your happiest/unhappiest memories?
- Have you kept any memorabilia? For example, valentine, birthday, anniversary cards; wedding, barmitzvah party invitations; certificates; menus; membership cards etc.
- What did you do during the War? Were you in the forces, land, army, ARP or other)? Where were you stationed?
- Were you evacuated? If so, what was it like? Where were you sent? What was the family you stayed with like? What school did you attend?
- Don't forget to record full details of the person being interviewed as well as the date and circumstances of the session
This section is reproduced by courtesy of Rosemary Wenzerul
Creators: Dr Saul Issroff