The Joint Medical Command (JMC) was established from 1 April 2008.
Joint Medical Command
A new Joint Medical Command (JMC) was established from 1 April 2008 and is responsible for the management and delivery of all joint clinical care, medical education and training and commissioning specialist hospital diagnostic, care and treatment including inpatient mental health care.
The JMC is a tri-service organisation responsible for providing secondary care personnel to meet operational requirements. It also underpins medical support to the UK’s front line forces by educating and training medical personnel. JMC has responsibility for the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine (RCDM), the Defence Medical Services Training Centre (DMSTC), the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre (DMRC), the Defence Postgraduate Medical Deanery (DPMD) and the five Ministry of Defence Hospital Units (MDHUs).
- The JMC provides a single focus for training design and delivery and enable improvements in the training and preparation of our people for their operational role.
- The creation of robust mechanisms to manage our secondary care personnel, dental personnel and medical trainees, will improve our ability to support them in their professional and career development, and enable them to be managed strategically to meet Defence needs.
- By bringing healthcare delivery under one command, we shall be able to provide a much higher level of support to the single Service primary care organisations, monitoring and assuring that it is the best and most appropriate care, including that delivered to operational casualties.
- Working with PJHQ and the front line commands we will be able to contribute increasingly to the development of truly joint medical capability for the future.
- The real “winners” should be the patients who should enjoy seamless end-to-end healthcare of an assured quality.
The JMC HQ is established initially at Fort Blockhouse, Gosport but is planned to move in due course to Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, as part of the Midland Medical Accommodation project.
Page rated 7 times