Direct Wines Holdings Ltd

← Return to partner profile


A4. Tackling Under-Age Alcohol Sales

Committed since:

1 January, 2013

Delivery plan:

Submitted: 19 December, 2011

The 'Challenge 25' policy has been adopted in all our shops and we are committed to ensuring it is rigorously applied.When customers purchase through our distance selling channels they are required to give their date of birth, in addition when purchasing over the internet they must tick a box confirming they are over 18. We are implementing technology that is used by gambling sites and other wine merchants that verifies the age of any new customers using several sources including the electoral roll. This technology claims to verify a customer's age in 95 per cent of cases. In the remaining 5 per cent of cases we will contact the customer in question by phone and only complete the sale if they supply us with a passport number or driving licence number which we can use to verify that they are over 18.

Comments are closed.