← Return to partner profile
P3. Active Travel
1 January, 2013
Submitted: 30 July, 2015
Through your physical activity pledges you will be working with employees, customers/consumers and/or local communities. For each group (as applicable) please describe the specific activities or projects you have undertaken over the past year.
For example, employee incentive schemes to promote physical activity, awareness raising activities or improvements to facilites to promote active travel.
Promote active Travel
A summary of the key actions for active travel are as follows:
- Funding for new shower blocks and refurbishment of current facilities now set aside (Approx. 245K and running cost). The refurbishment of 3 showers has been completed and the installation of 3 new showers and a dry room is expected to be completed in May 2015. Moving forward plans have been made to install an additional 6 showers and a second dry room by December 2015.
- The Trust has an approved communication and marketing strategy to support the progress of the green travel plan.
- Personal travel planning is now offered to the staff through a partnership between The Christie, Transport for Greater Manchester and AECOM.
- The Christie has an online bicycle user group forum (BUG) to facilitate staff engagement for cyclists or potential cyclists.
- Travel plan coordinator is a member of the Travel Choices Employers' Forum that provides opportunity to escalate concerns from the BUG and networking on current offers for active travel.
- Free bicycle maintenance is provide twice a year, once to get summer ready and once to get winter ready.
- Free bicycle training for all levels offered in partnership with Transport for Greater Manchester.
- Free basic bicycle maintenance training offered in partnership with Transport for Greater Manchester.
Increase Physical Activity
We have worked hard following feedback from staff to increase opportunity for staff to be active. The Trust has held a Rounders competition with the assistance of simple Rounders. With approximately 70-90 staff involved in the event.
We have increased our links within the local community Gym and swimming baths agreeing corporate rates and supporting their re-launch.
Virgin active Gym, regularly attend to give out free passes to staff to sample the Gym.
We are looking to establish a regular 5 a side football league.
Employees have access to a regular Pilates' session
As well as communication with regards supporting walk to work activities
For example, supporting/sponsoring local physical activity programmes, promoting physical activity to customers through website campaigns or in-store materials.
For example, support for community-based physical activity programmes (such as funding, sponsorship or other promotion activity), working with local partners to engage communities is physical activity opportunities.
Through the Christie Charity, we encourage lots of active sporting events e.g. manchester to blackpool cycle event and 10k runs. The charity try to engage the community to be active and support the charity at the same time.
Please estimate the number of your employees who report they are regularly using active modes of travel and explain how you arrived at this estimate.
The 2014 staff survey showed 21.6% (15.2% walk and 6.4% bicycle) staff use active travel for their commute.
Has the number of your employees using active modes of travel increased since last year? If unknown, please explain why:
Yes - 2013 = 21% while 2014 = 21.6%
If your active travel pledge activities have focused on customers or local communities, have you observed or measured any increases in active travel in these groups? If yes, please provide details and where you have been able to measure this please explain how you arrived at this estimate.
We would be interested to know if your pledge activity over the last year has delivered a measurable increase in participation in physical activity. If so, please describe and provide an estimate of the level of increase and how you measured this. There is a 2000-character limit when completing this section.
Comments are closed.
Find out how you can use the Change4Life brand