P2. Physical Activity Guidelines
15 August, 2013
Submitted: 15 August, 2013
Land Registry intends to meet this pledge through the delivery of actions falling out of our health, wellbeing and attendance strategy for 2013/14 and communicating the physical activity guidelines to staff.
Key actions include:
1. Encouraging staff participation in the Charity for Civil Servants Virtual walking challenge (May-July 2013) aiming to increase levels of participation from 2012. The aim is to increase levels of physical activity amongst the workforce building on our success as top participating department from last year whilst encouraging staff to make exercise a way of life.
2. Running a second physical activity challenge during September 2013 based on the British Heart Foundation "Be active, stay active" challenge. Titled "Every 10 minutes counts" we are asking staff to record how many minutes activity they do each week for 4 weeks working up to the recommended 150 minutes. Specifically we will be encouraging staff who do little or no regular physical activity to take part starting small and working up to the recommended guidelines. Locally organised events, such as lunchtime yoga and self defence classes being run locally to encourage improved activity.
3. Provision of information through our intranet pages and news articles including communicating the physical activity guidelines and information on how to improve physical wellbeing including access to information from our occupational health providers via Health Matters website.
4. Participating in the Civil Service Physical Activity Challenge for the 2nd year and submitting physical activity levels during the sample week demonstrating percentage of staff achieving the 150 minutes activity per week.
5. Running an ageing workforce health promotion during October 203 making links to the benefits of regular exercise as you get older.
6. Launch and promote a cycle to work scheme to run twice a year through a salary sacrifice arrangement. Partnering with Halfords to promote this.