← Return to partner profile
H4. Healthier Staff Restaurants
5 April, 2011
Submitted: 27 May, 2015
Please decribe how you and your caterers have encouraged healthier restaurants/vending outlet/buffets (as applicable) for your staff over the last year. There is a 2000-character limit when completing this section.
The Department of Health has contracted with our catering supplier, COMPASS Eurest, to meet the requirements of this pledge and they are committed to prioritising the following:
• Ensuring the availability of healthier foods and beverages in all available channels to employees, including a “healthy meal” (in line with change 4 life criteria) which is available every day, one vegetable and one farinaceous/potato dish, plain boiled or steamed daily, chips not available every day, vegetarian meals all contain a protein and are not treated as the “value” option.
• Working with caterers to reformulate recipes to provide meals which are lower in fat, salt, and energy and which do not contain artificial trans fats.
No salt added to dishes, low fat/salt/sugar versions of ingredients used where available, healthier cooking method used where appropriate. Rape seed oil used as primary cooking medium for frying. Salt only available in sachets (not on tables). Limited use of ready sauces and proprietor ingredients to increase control over fat/salt/sugar content of meals.
• Provision of responsibly sized portions of foods –
Food portions to conform to industry guidelines, side salad and vegetable portions are at least one of your 5 a day
• Provision and promotion of the consumption of fruit and vegetables through availability and price promotion –
All meal deals Include at least 1 portion of vegetables, Promotion of the seasonal vegetable/fruit of the month in specially selected recipes
• Provision of calories and/or Guideline Daily Amounts on menus per portion as a minimum (further nutrients optional) all dishes are analysed to ensure they meet GDAs.
• Ensure that water is visible and freely available
COMPASS now sit on our DH Staff Health and Wellbeing Board as means of receiving feedback on the quality of food in staff restaurants, and ensuring that standards are adhered to.
Comments are closed.
Find out how you can use the Change4Life brand