British Safety Council
H2. Occupational Health Standards
4 October, 2013
Submitted: 27 November, 2013
The British Safety Council has in place an occupational health service arrangement called Health Assured, which is available to all staff through our staff intranet. The services on offer are suitable and proportionate to our organisation and risk profile, and include:
• Emotional Support - including informative factsheets and invaluable advice. There are also video presentations by a leading counselling supervisor.
• Personal Coaching - a questionnaire giving invaluable feedback and advice on all health, stress and relationship matters.
• Medical Factsheets - including specialist medical factsheets which offer detailed yet easy to understand medical information.
• Fitness Advice - easy to follow fitness exercises and complete programmes with video guides - delivered by the UK's leading fitness professionals.
• Health Assessment - online health assessment providing healthy eating plans, stress plans, eating diaries and a nutrition diary.
We also have in place an arrangement whereby staff can access a confidential telephone counselling service should they need further emotional support, on issues which might or might not be work related. Although this information is detailed on the staff intranet and in the staff handbook it is planned that we will raise awareness of these arrangements through sessions at the forthcoming staff conference planned for January 2014.
We also provide staff with eye-test vouchers, which entitle staff to a free eye-test and a contribution to the cost of VDU/DSE glasses. There is also a Dental Plan cover – provided by BUPA and staff members also have access to an Elite Special Scheme, which is a medical cover scheme for hospital/GP treatments. Again we are going to raise awareness of the above schemes in January 2014.
We will, before the end of March 2014, carry out a gap analysis of the above services against the new occupational health standards, and will endeavor to remedy any ‘gaps’ in services provided by the end June 2014.