Shepherd Construction Ltd (SCL) is the construction arm of the Shepherd Group Built Environment Division. SCL operates as a national contractor, undertaking construction projects across the education, research laboratories, health, residential, commercial, leisure, retail, and industrial sectors. SCL also recently entered into the power and energy sector with a major project underway on a Power station, converting an existing coal fired plant to run on biomass fuel.
Employing 450 people in 3 regions, East, West and South, with support functions based at Head Office in York, SCL is part of the Shepherd Group, with a group turnover in excess of £600 million.
SCL aspires to become the industry leader in H&S performance, so the business is structured to demonstrate clear leadership on H&S from the senior leadership team right through to the personnel at the workface. Everyone is empowered to lead.
SCL commits to ensuring;
• Health, safety and welfare of employees, contractors, visitors, customers and the public
• Decisions about other priorities take suitable and sufficient account of health and safety requirements
• Continual improvement in H&S performance/standards
• All employees are accountable for the delivery of their H&S responsibilities both collectively and individually.
We have a SHE team committed to supporting SCL to meet its H&S commitments and objectives. They provide competent advice and guidance, supporting the business to apply the SHE standards set in our OHSAS 18001:2007 accredited management system.
Our philosophy: We believe that good health and safety is a habit, not a request.
Joined the Responsibility Deal: 4 November, 2013
This partner is currently committed to the following pledges (1):
Health at Work
H10. Construction and Civil Engineering Industries (since 4 November, 2013)
- Delivery Plan (submitted 13 December, 2013)