Skip to content

Release: Labour Disputes, Annual Article 2013

Released: 17 July 2014


James Tucker

Labour Market Division

Telephone: +44 (0)1633 456589

Categories: Labour Market, People in Work, Labour Disputes, Collective Agreement, Days Lost Due to Industrial Action, Employer-employee Dialogue

Frequency of release: Annually

Language: English

Geographical coverage: UK

Geographical breakdown: Region

Survey name(s): Labour Disputes Statistics

  • There were 443,600 working days lost through labour disputes in 2013, which compares to 248,800 in 2012.

  • There were 114 stoppages of work because of labour disputes in 2013. This compares with 131 stoppages in 2012 and 149 stoppages in 2011.

  • The majority of working days lost (82 per cent) were in the public sector, while the number of total stoppages (114) was more evenly split with 56 per cent in the private sector and the remaining 44% in the public sector.

  • 94 per cent of working days lost were due to wage disputes.

Statistics on UK breakdown of labour disputes covering: number of working days lost and number of stoppages. The statistics relate to both 'strikes' and 'lockouts'.
Content from the Office for National Statistics.
© Crown Copyright applies unless otherwise stated.