Search for a local authority

Find your local authority to report a food problem or register a food business.

Report a food problem

Problems or concerns about poor hygiene and safety in a food outlet or a trading standards issue such as food mislabelling should be reported to the local authority.

  • Environmental Health Officers handle complaints about food quality, hygiene and safety issues.
  • Trading Standards Officers handle complaints about food labelling, ingredients, and weights and measures.
  • In Scotland and Northern Ireland, Environmental Health Officers deal with all food law enforcement matters.

If you have any suspicious about food being offered for sale, for example, if the meat being sold is unusually cheap and you have concerns about where meat has come from, please report it to the local authority. Please include as much detail as possible in your message, including your name and number.

New food business

If you are planning to start a new catering business, you must register your premises with the environmental health service at your local authority at least 28 days before opening.

To find the local authority, enter a street, town or postcode of the business in the form below. The results are given in order of distance from the location entered. Due to local authority boundaries, the first result may sometimes not be the authority that has jurisdiction.