SAPIR: Shibboleth-enabled Access to Portals and Institutional Resources
The University of Newcastle has already established a Shibboleth origin as part of the Core-middleware IAMSECT project, and this work will be built upon in order to widen the use of Shibboleth within the institution. The University Library has developed a large portfolio of electronic resources with all the complexities of authentication and authorisation that this involves. The Athens access management system has helped to simplify access issues to an extent, but the fact that Shibboleth is an international standard inevitably means it is in the interests of institutions to investigate the practicalities of implementing this new method of access with commonly-used resources while at the same time clearly documenting the issues that may arise, and helping the community with future developments. In addition to this, the work will look at other commonly used resources and resource management tools.
Aims and Objectives
Through the use of the existing institutional Shibboleth origin, allow all University members to access key information systems via the use of their institutional username and password, and to authorise their use of information resources that have been licensed by the University Library.
- Establish project management and reporting framework
- Determine those user attributes which a Library needs for authentication and authorisation via the Shibboleth origin, and which institutional attribute stores these are likely to come from. This would bedone in conjunction with the University Information Systems and Services (ISS) team
- Replace the locally administered Athens authentication system with Shibboleth-enabled access utilising the Shibboleth/Athens gateway developed by Eduserv.
- Allow University members to access electronic resources through the Metalib portal by configuring the resource as a Shibboleth target
- Allow on and off campus access to the LORLS Reading list management system by configuring the resource as a Shibboleth target
- To establish a test environment for users to access the Aleph Library Management system version 17 via Shibboleth target
- Evaluate the impact on the end user
- Document all appropriate processes and findings
- Disseminate project outcomes and deliverables