Civil Service Statistics reports present employment statistics, compiled from the Annual Civil Service Employment Survey. They provide regional analyses, diversity and earnings statistics for the Civil Service population.
To see older reports from 1970 to 2010 please visit the archive
Civil Service Statistics 2011 report
The headline figures for this report are:
- At 31 March 2011, Civil Service employment was 498,433. This total excludes 15,000 people employed temporarily for the 2011 Census.
- 78 per cent of employees worked full-time, with the remaining 22 per cent working part-time.
- Approximately half (53 per cent) of all employees were women. Women made up 84 per cent of the part-time workforce.
- Median gross annual earnings (excluding overtime or one-off bonuses) for all employees were £23,760 at 31 March 2011.
- The Senior Civil Service accounted for 1 per cent of the Civil Service.
Download the Civil Service Statistics 2011 report [PDF, 17 pages]