The Adjudicator's Office logo Site map
home how to complain how we work case studies publications contact us
What you need to know
Before we look at your complaint you will need to have exhausted the organisation's own complaints procedure and have received a final response from them. Find out more about the complaint process.
Contact the organisations
HM Revenue & Customs
Valuation Office Agency
Insolvency Service
Useful links
Tribunals Service
(All links open in a new window)

How to complain

The Adjudicator considers complaints about how HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) or The Insolvency Service have dealt with you.
The Adjudicatorís Office cannot consider a complaint until you have completed both Stage 1 and 2 of the complaints process.

You can download a leaflet on the complaints procedure on our publications page.

Stage 1: Departmentís initial review

If customers are unhappy with the service they have received they may ask for a formal review of their complaint.

What you need to do:
  • Contact the local office of the department and ask for a review of your complaint.

Stage 2: Departmentís internal review

If the complaint is still not resolved, the customer may ask for a second review, which is a fresh look at their complaint and gives them the departmentís final response.

What you need to do:
  • Contact the departmentís internal review team and ask for a second review of your complaint.

Stage 3: Independent review by the Adjudicatorís Office

If the customer remains unhappy then they may approach the Adjudicatorís Office.

The complaint will be investigated to draw together a full and impartial summary of details from the customer and the department. The Adjudicator provides an independent review of the details and makes her recommendation.

What you need to do:
  • Write to the Adjudicatorís Office with the details of your complaint and the reasons why you are complaining about the service you received.
  • You must also enclose a copy of the final decision letter from the department you are complaining about.
  • If you are unable to contact us in writing please telephone to discuss your needs.
  • We do not usually take on cases that are received more than six months after the date of the final response from the department.
Find out more about how the Adjudicator handles complaints.

Stage 4: Final review by the Parliamentary Ombudsman

Customers who remain unhappy can ask an MP to put their complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman.

The Parliamentary Ombudsman will decide whether to investigate the complaint and, if she decides to do so, her investigation may also look at the way in which the Adjudicatorís Office has reviewed the complaint.

What you need to do:
  • You will need to write to your local Member of Parliament (MP) with the details of your complaint and ask that it be referred to the Parliamentary Ombudsman.
  • For more information see the Parliamentary Ombudsman website Link opens in a new window.
Quick links
Tell us what you think of our new website (link opens in a new window)
Latest annual report
Case studies
 Crown Copyright l Disclaimer l Freedom of Information l Privacy