In his first video blog, Alex Fox talks about prevention and early intervention, the area he will be looking at as part of the social care engagement exercise.
In the video Alex covers the following:
- The different levels of investment in preventative services across the country, and why this is the case
- The importance of clarity about what it is that care services are preventing, for whom and how it is measured
- Why the current system needs reforming, and the fact that it is anti-preventative
- How to get people into the care system earlier without increasing overall need at a time when budgets are under pressure, and how this could be achieved:
1. Could we move to a more risk based assessment process?
2. Can we help people to make savings in their personal budgets?
3. What would be the consequences of these kinds of changes?
- That this is about more than reforming the care service. There is a need to look much further than social care and traditional interventions
- There is a need to look at community development approaches, whole family support, helping people to live a better life to be less of a burden on services.