In this blog Alex talks about creating a care system in which people have the right and responsibility to develop a better life now, rather than waiting for a crisis to happen.
In the video Alex talks about:
- What do we mean when we talk about prevention
- The lack of clarity around prevention
- Should services focus on future needs as well as present needs
- There is no effective prevention without integration
- How do we measure savings in social care
- How can we think more holistically about outcomes
Alex gives an example – in Herefordshire, within 20 years time one third of the population will be older people. There is a need to think about how planning for the future is seen as a social care issue. There is a need to create support to help people navigate through services and to integrate with their community.