What is HealthSpace?
HealthSpace is a free, secure online personal health organiser. It can help you to manage your health, store important health information and find out about NHS services near you.
Anyone living in England, aged 16 or over, with a valid email address can register for a HealthSpace account.
HealthSpace currently provides two levels of service to users:
A basic self-registration service providing:
- An online personal health organiser
- A diary / calendar to record information such as appointments
- The facility to find doctors, dentists and other NHS services
- Access to other NHS websites such as NHS Choices for information and advice on health conditions or Choose and Book if you wish to book your hospital appointment online.
If your local NHS is creating Summary Care Records (SCRs) you will be invited to upgrade form the Basic service to the Advanced service.
This service requires you to follow a three part registration process to obtain a HealthSpace Advanced account:
- Complete a short online application
- Prove your identity face-to-face at your local HealthSpace registration office
- Activate your HealthSpace Advanced Account
The Advanced service lets you do all the things you can do with the Basic service but gives you access to a wider range of services.
Current advanced services are:
- Access to your Summary Care Record (SCR) - for patients who live in a Primary Care Trust (PCT) area where SCRs have been created. SCRs are being rolled out across England in a phased way. You may have received information about viewing your SCR from your local NHS, or will do so in the future.
Your SCR contains important information taken from the electronic medical records the NHS holds for you.
The information could help people treating you, particularly in an emergency.
- HealthSpace Communicator - a new and secure way for patients to communicate electronically with health care staff such as doctors and nurses. If your local health care staff use HealthSpace Communicator and feel it will benefit you, they will discuss this with you before sending you an electronic invite. Please note that HealthSpace Communicator is only currently available in a small number of early adopter areas.
HealthSpace leaflet (PDF, 204Kb) – a generic leaflet about HealthSpace.
Brett Sibley takes control of his health (PDF, 81Kb) – a case study which looks at how Brett uses HealthSpace to view his Summary Care Record and support his involvement in a weight maintenance programme.