In this video Alistair talks about how the dementia awareness campaign is highlighting the importance of an early diagnosis.
In the video Alistair mentions:
- Only 40% of people with dementia receive a formal diagnosis
- early diagnosis is key to treating dementia
- awareness helps to decrease stigma
- getting checked may identify easily treatable problems not associated with dementia
- the dementia campaign is a 6 week campaign on TV, radio and shown in GP surgeries
- recent statistics by the Information Centre show that 94% of Primary Care Trusts have memory services with spending increasing by 22% over the previous year
- People referred to memory services has increased by 57% in the last year
- The awareness campaign has the potential to encourage people to come forward to seek help, to raise awareness and to reduce stigma.