We’ll only ever collect information that will help us make the site work better for you; information that will let us contact you if you’ve asked us to, let us give you accurate local information if you need it and give us a sense of how people are using the site, so we can keep improving it.
Parts of the website may ask you for more information so that you can access government services or complete transactions. You will always be told when this information is being collected, and in many cases will be asked to enter it (for example, an email address for correspondence). This information will only be used for the purpose stated at the time it is collected.
The information we collect
We collect the following information from people visiting the website:
- The questions, queries and feedback people leave, including your email address if you send us email
- Visitors’ IP addresses, and details of which version of a web browser they used
- Information on how people use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques, to help us improve the website and our services
If you send us feedback, a record of your message will be kept for up to six months before it’s deleted.
More about cookies
GOV.UK uses small data files stored on your computer called ‘cookies’. Most websites do this. They help us improve the website experience for you. Find out what we use them for, and how to control their use on our cookies page.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
How we use your information
Any information we collect is used to:
- improve the content and design of the website
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into with visitors
- to allow visitors to participate in interactive features of our website, when visitors choose to do so
- contact visitors (with their permission) to respond to feedback and queries
We’ll never share your information with other organisations for marketing, market research or commercial purposes, and we don’t pass on your personal information to any other website.
Disclosure of your information
In accordance with Principle 6 of the Data Protection Act, visitors have the right to ask us not to process your personal data, and you have the right to access information held about you.
Links to other websites
Following a link to another website
Following a link to GOV.UK from another website