Protect the health of the population, by ensuring we have the right policies and capabilities to protect people from a range of health threats such as those associated with pandemic influenza and terrorist attack. In particular:
- ensure health protection plans for the Olympics and Paralympics are in place and tested, and operate effectively during the Games
- develop and maintain a high quality DH emergency response capability, including implementing a new training strategy
- address the health risks identified in the Climate Change Risk Assessment (CCRA) and contribute to the health and wellbeing element of the cross-government National Adaptation Programme (NAP)
- maintain and develop national vaccination programmes and respond effectively to the ‘flu’ season
- improve and promote good sexual health, and reduce teenage pregnancy rates. Publish the Government’s sexual health policy document and consult on independent abortion counselling.