Please could the Department supply information relating to the Commissioner’s response regarding a campaign by some supporters of home education who are threatening to inundate the Department with FOI requests; and any further communications relating to this subject matter?


I have dealt with your request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 ("the Act").

A copy of the information which can be disclosed is enclosed. The Department holds no other communications to or from the Information Commissioner’s Office on the matter.

The information supplied to you is protected by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. Any documents produced by government officials will be covered by Crown Copyright. You are free to use the information for your own purposes, including any non-commercial research you are doing and for the purposes of news reporting. Any other reuse, for example commercial publication, would require the permission of the copyright holder and is regulated by the Reuse of Public Sector Information Regulations 2005. The Office of Public Sector Information can provide details on the arrangements for re-using Crown Copyright.

Any information which is not subject to Crown Copyright continues to be protected by the copyright of the person, or organisation, from which the information originated. You must ensure that you gain their permission before reproducing such information.

The Department holds the remainder of the information you requested, but it is being withheld because the following absolute exemptions apply to this information (as indicated against the redactions on the communications with the ICO):

Section 40 (2) - personal information. The Department considers that the absolute exemption at section 40 (2) of the Act is engaged, because some of the information requested constitutes personal data, disclosure of which otherwise than under the Act would contravene the data protection principles under the Data Protection Act 1998.

If you have any queries about this letter, please contact me. Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications.

If you are unhappy with the way your request has been handled, you should make a complaint to the Department by writing to me within two calendar months of the date of this letter. Your complaint will be considered by an independent review panel, who were not involved in the original consideration of your request.

If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint to the Department, you may then contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Partridge

Information Rights Manager

Contact details

Office of Public Sector Information (licensing)
Organisation type: Other
Information Policy Team

Telephone: 020 8876 3444