This release brings together statistical material relating to the Terrorism Act 2000, including arrests and their outcomes, as well as breakdowns of stops and searches made under the powers of the Act. The data were submitted to the Home Office by the Association of Chief Police Officers, Crown Prosecution Service, National Offender Management Service, Scottish Prison Service and police forces in Great Britain, and cover the period up to 30 June 2012.
Headline figures from the bulletin show that in the year ending 30 June 2012:
- There were 228 persons arrested in Great Britain for a terrorism-related offence.
- Of those arrested, 49 persons were charged for a terrorism-related offence.
- Of those arrested and charged for a terrorism-related offence, 20 were convicted of a terrorism-related offence, with a further 25 awaiting prosecution.
- On 30 June 2012 there were 130 persons in prison custody for terrorism-related and extremist offences in Great Britain.
- There has, as yet, been no use of new stop and search powers under section 47A of the Terrorism Act 2000 since they were formally brought into use on 18 March 2011.
- The Metropolitan Police Service conducted 679 stops and searches under section 43 of the Terrorism Act 2000 in the year ending 30 June 2012, a fall of just under a half on the 1,283 in the previous year.
More detailed information is available within the following four sections:
Arrests and outcomes briefing and arrests and outcomes excel tables cover the number of persons arrested for terrorism-related offences, with outcomes, from 1 April 2010 to 30 June 2012, as well as a summary of all arrests and outcomes from 11 September 2001 to 30 June 2012.
Court proceedings briefing and court proceedings excel tables show details of court proceedings dealt with by the Crown Prosecution Service Counter Terrorism Division from 1 April 2010 to 30 June 2012.
Terrorist and extremist prisoners briefing and terrorist and extremist prisoners excel tables give the number of terrorism-related and extremist prisoners in Great Britain as at 30 June 2012, and the number of prisoners released from 1 April 2010 to 30 June 2012.
Information about each section is available in the User Guide to Terrorism Statistics. The guide contains further information about the Terrorism Act 2000, explains categories and terminology used in the release and gives information about the data providers.
Date: Thu Dec 13 09:30:00 GMT 2012
- Statistical News Release Operation of police powers under the Terrorism Act 2000 and subsequent legislation - arrests, outcomes, stops and searches: Great Britain, quarterly update to June 2012 (PDF file - 39kb)
- Pre-release access to: Operation of police powers under The Terrorism Act 2000 and subsequent legislation: Arrests, outcomes and stops and searches, Quarterly update to 30 June 2012, Great Britain (PDF file - 68kb)
To view a document in Adobe PDF format, you may first need to download a free copy of the Adobe Acrobat reader (new window)
You can also find out more information on Adobe accessibility features (new window).