FSA in Northern Ireland
A university student survival guide to food.
Food Standards Agency Northern Ireland and the University of Ulster have joined forces to create and launch a comprehensive student survival booklet on diet and nutrition for first year students - Fresher Food.
The Fresher Food guide will be available to students in the University of Ulster halls of residence across each of the three main campuses.
Included in the guide are:
- healthy recipes
- how to get the most out of your diet
- cooking and storage advice
- budgeting tips
- hygiene information
It has been designed to encourage first year university students to make healthier eating choices and form good food hygiene practices in their first year away from home. It was developed as a response to a survey which revealed that nearly two thirds of students do not always have a main meal, and that many students do not know how to cook.
You can download each chapter of the booklet as a pdf document.
- Fresher Food 00 - Introduction (pdf 797KB)
- Fresher Food 01 - How To Survive on Peanuts (pdf 1MB)
- Fresher Food 02 - Best Read Before (pdf 391KB)
- Fresher Food 03 - The Bread and Butter Stuff (pdf 657KB)
- Fresher Food 04 - Don't get sick (pdf 581KB)
- Fresher Food 05 - Your Granny Would Be Proud (pdf 1MB)
- Fresher Food 06 - Food for Thought (pdf 317KB)
- Fresher Food 07 - Hungry for More (pdf 223KB)